Save money on pipe filters, make your own!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
I made a video a while ago and posted it on my Youtube channel. When I started smoking Missouri Meerschaums I took the filter out. I decided one day to try a filtered pipe, I liked how dry the smoke was. Very good! So I got a box of Medico filters, ran out, and decided I'm not paying 89 cents for a box of filters. I figured, why buy when I can make. I'm a country boy, that's what I do best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPgYGTjJo2E&list=UUQyanVLLSkwkvmZgcO3jrww&index=4&feature=plcp
Hope this was helpful!
Take care!

~Levi

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Sounds like you are filming next to a firing range specializing in machine guns or right next to a Chinese fireworks testing range and they just got in their prototype million blackcat roll and were lighting the crap out of it. Thanks for the idea though. I still have the first pack of filters I bought a year ago. Used 2 and no more.
Welcome to the forums mate.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
I was filming with the worst camera in the world, a vivitar I got from a garage sale. Glad you liked it though! :)

deadwoodpete

Lurker
May 31, 2012
Not a filter man, myself. First thing I did was pull the filter from my Dr. G.
But as one country boy to another. Good job, Bro. :clap:

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Thanks guys!
At first I had the whole attitude of "filters are for sissies, it's just an extra thing I have to buy" and didn't smoke with them for years. I started using them in a pipe, because they soak up a ton of moisture from the smoke and it seems like it makes it easier to enjoy without taking away from the flavor.
I've smoked unfiltered American Spirit for years, handrolled or in a pipe. For the longest time I hated the idea of a filter. I figured it just cuts out the nicotine and flavor and makes the smoke taste "watered down" so to speak. Upon further experimentation I discovered that they really don't make it taste watered down, but actually remove some of the bite.
A friend in Connecticut who watches my youtube videos sent me an email saying I should probably smoke with filters to cut out the tar from my smokes. I figured I should listen to my elders so I figured out how to make my own cigarette filters with raw cotton too. Cotton filters are very absorbent, they get way dirtier than cellulose acetate ones and taste cleaner. So I'm thinking about trying to make cotton filters for my pipe, I already use them in my RYO cigs and they work great.
Keep your powder dry and your tobacco moist!

~Levi

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah I also get that most things have been discussed in other threads but without a link to said thread, the search engine doesnt always lead right there. Anyways good thoughts.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Not a filter guy myself but whatever floats your boat is what matters.

Glad to know that you found a solution rather than purchase some! Way to be innovative.

Happy puffing! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.