PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I struggled over this one, but ultimately decided to keep it as the price point was reasonable. This is the first Patent Era Sasieni in my collection. The Hendon shape drops in and out of the Sasieni catalogs. It is certainly the least common of the Sasieni bulldog shapes. (Grosvernor, etc.)
The Sasieni script, Patent number and town name reveal that the pipe was made sometime between 1935 when town names started and WWII ('42).
Dave (dmcmtk) looked at the pipe for me and was worried that it might have been topped. That was good advice and I asked for pictures showing the bowl height. I found a few previously sold Hendons on the web, but only two with specs. The bowl height and depth on this one is right in between the two that I found. It certainly could have had a millimeter taken of the bowl height, but I decided it was close enough. Jesse S recently mentioned the phrase "Cut down process" in describing small variations in standard shapes by Barlings, etc. Perhaps this one was similarly affected?
The pipe still retains the screw in stinger, but I think that the ball may have been cut off. There is a scorch mark on the top of the bowl, which I was able to lessen, but not completely remove. The stem is in excellent shape as is the bowl interior.

From a Four Dot era catalog,1960

I believe this was from a 1950's catalog.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Great find, Al. If it's been topped, it's not obvious. From the scorch marks, I would guess it hasn't been. Nice find!
Do you smoke them with the stinger or remove it?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'd say...take measurements along the bowl from the grooves to the top at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions. Did you get the stinger out Al? I'd take it out and smoke it!
:)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@ Dave: The only measurement points for reference are the total bowl height (one 36 mm, one shows 39 mm). This is just a smidge over 37mm. And bowl depth (one) at 28 mm, this one is just a smidge under that
re: The stinger. I think that I will smoke it with the stinger. Without the stinger, the walls of the tenon are quite thin and I'm afraid to take away that support. It would also have a massive draft without. I have a few Petersons with straw aluminum stingers that smoke better with it in place (to reduce the draft).

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The other thing...I seem to remember Tony S. telling me about a very early catalog, 1924~25 with Four Dots with the town names on the pipes. I had an Old England in the shape, but sold it...kind of wish I hadn't!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I had an Old England in the shape, but sold it...kind of wish I hadn't!
Actually a Royal Stuart. I must say they look pretty close. This "before" picture shows it the best.
rs-hendon2-600x397.jpg

I did clean it up sports fans! :)
hendon-005-600x449.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Squats are my favorite Bulldogs.
I am late to the party liking this very popular shape. Bought my first this year.

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
Very pretty. I’m in love... I actually still have an Old England in the shape or very close to it. I smoke it almost weekly as it is such a good smoker. Fine pipe indeed you have there!

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
@Al. I’d say so as well. It’s a favorite in my rotation. I got it for a steal and even though it’s been a bit over buffed it is a fabulous smoker. I’d like to obtain most of the Sasieni bulldogs at some point; slowly working my way there.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I've got one (old England rustcated shape M87) squat bulldog with a chair leg stem. Kinda odd, visually. This link shows another M87, and is photographed better than I could.
https://www.smokershaven.com/sasieni-estate-pipe-old-england-sandblasted-bulldog/
Doc

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
Very neat! There was a bent Bulldog with the same style stem on ebay a while back that I really had to keep myself from buying. In hindsight I really wish I would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.