PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Love the Black XX. Brown no 4 is good if I like to feel like I'm smoking a horse farm, barnwood, animals, roadapples and dirt road. The Black XX is more oily and burnt rubber. I love it!

Definitely worth trying the G&H ropes as well. I'm not as crazy about the flavored twists, but the Brown Bogie and Black Irish X are good treats once in a while.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I got a love/hate relationship with it. When I get charred lamb fat on the grill it is hate, when I get spicy tobacco it is love :)
I don’t even get lamb fat from it. I like lamb ?
Just tastes like stale vegetable oil, at least to me. And the tobacco itself is a little flatter tasting than the brown in my (early) opinion. I need to have a few more bowls before I pass judgement though, I guess.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
I like all of the Gawith ropes and have quite a bit on hand. The black ropes have a unique flavor that I like and smoke once or twice a week . I can't tell any difference between SG and G&H black ropes. I also like the brown ropes, including the flavored versions ( and the nic hit is much lower on the flavored ropes IMO).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The first thing I ask when looking for cigars, is "which one of these chokes the burliest men that have ever come in?" This is how I ended up with a humidor full of Chupacabras, GTO Anesthesias, and Kentucky Dark Fire sticks. I love the dark strong oils spill sticks... love 'em.

I never cellar'd this rope, but I have smoked through a few feet of it. It is tasty, but I didn't find enough nicotine in this one to merit the stashing.

Nice review!!
I get it, you want that tobacco that will reach right up through your butt hole and rip out your gizzard. Maybe Tom's Dark Twist from Motzek, 50/50 Perique and Dark Fired. I also hear that there are some potent ropes being brewed in South America.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I get it, you want that tobacco that will reach right up through your butt hole and rip out your gizzard. Maybe Tom's Dark Twist from Motzek, 50/50 Perique and Dark Fired. I also hear that there are some potent ropes being brewed in South America.

Certainly Tom's Dark twist is a LOT stronger than Black XX, also stronger than brown ropes.

That fumo da corda you mention looks like Periqued leaf, rolled green and tightened to let juices leak out and coat it. Must be pretty intense, in videos it looks like tough leathery old Brazilian guys smoke it in rollies rather than pipes. Would love to know where to get my hands on some.

Having said that, I just cut up a bowl's worth of Black XX for later tonight :)

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have a few tins of it. I’ve never smoked it. I’ll get around to it someday...

Amongst my working jars are:
GH&Co Black Cherry Twist
GH&Co Dark Plug
Gallagher’s Irish Plug (Irish Mfg)

So that’s enough to keep me going for the next several months.
Where did you get the Gallagher's? That's got to be 2 generation's old.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I'm to nervous to try anything that looks like a rolled up piece of roofing tar with the name "black XX"

Status
Not open for further replies.