PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean its poor quality.
I've had scotch from all four (or five) different regions of Scotland and personally prefer scotch from the Highlands and Speyside. I don't like heavily peated scotch either.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean its poor quality.
That is very true. I've had some pretty expensive single malt Scotch whiskies that really disappointed.

My usual Scotch intake is blended, Whyte & Mackay being a favourite with Johnny Walker a close second.
That's something I prefer with my scotch.
Me too Mike but in small-medium doses. Ardmore is a great peaty single malt at a great price. Currently on special over here at £21.

Jay.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
That's a good one! Especially for the price. It's a lowland. Not many of the original lowland distilleries left anymore. Auchentoshan and Glenkinchie are the only two I've ever seen on the shelves here in the states. Lowlands are usually un-peated, so very mild and smooth but still quite flavorful. If you liked that one, Auchentoshan has a few other expressions that are also good, albeit pricier. Glenkinchie 12 is a little more robust and is one of my favorite scotches of any kind but, again, it's usually around $20 more than the Auchentoshan American Oak.

There are supposedly a few lowland distilleries that have been bought and un-mothballed in recent years, but I haven't seen any product hitting the stores here yet.

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
I like scotch. And I like smokey. But like Latakia, I am moody and my taste varies. I love Pirate Kake. Sometimes. So I love Islay… sometimes. I am a big Talisker fan. I really like Balmore Darkest. I am amazed that Johnny Walker Black hits right every time. But I don’t love the price. So like tobaccos, I keep a bottle around, but it isnt a regular pour.

Reactions: mawnansmiff