PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiezmich

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Illinois
I am all for supporting my local tobacco shops because in the long run your building a relationship that can not be beaten from an online retailer. I also like the fact that they sell their own home made blends that are truly unique to their store. However, I do want to try tobaccos that are the classic iconic names in the tobacco industry and need some help. I really don't want to spend $14+ dollars on a tin of Frog Mortans or something like that before I try it out first, but companies do not seem to offer the option of getting a 1 even .5oz sample. Anyone know where I can sample some good brand tobaccos?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
welcome aboard

you could either work out trades wifh someone here through briarbid...or buy stuff that everyone seems to like or have interrst in, then if you dont like it someone will likely trade you for it

or buy it and if you dont like it,cellar it for a year or so then try it again later

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I don't know of any place that gives/sells samples of tinned tobacco. use sample their hold let you I'm sure a B&M blends, but that isn't what you were looking for.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Louiezmich:
I'd encourage you to read reviews of blends -- here, at tobaccoreviews.com, in Pipes & Tobaccos magazine -- and get a feel for a blend's style and reputation. You also need to smoke enough blends to understand what different leaf tastes like; that's the only way to really know if you're likely to enjoy a new blend.
I like trying tons of different blends, so it doesn't bother me to pick up random tins to sample. But I think if you do your homework -- online and in the bowl -- you'll be on a stronger footing.
Bob

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Uber, ( use sample their hold let you I'm sure a B&M blends, but that isn't what you were looking for.)
What?

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I agree that supporting your local B&M is important, if you have one and especially if that one is fair with prices and quality. I will suggest however that the days of a B&M blending their own unique tobacco on the premises is a rare and dying proposition. Most now sell some of the blends you will find in bulk online, renamed to their whims. If I could buy a tin for $15 locally I would jump for joy...mine are more like $50 and very limited selection even after driving an hour away. The online eTailers tend to have different samplers, but not in 1/2 oz sizes. However you can buy single oz's from most of them, many for around $4. I agree with checking reviews, that has been part of my "narrowing down process". That being said, being a newbie myself, there is nearly a daunting amount to learn and the learning curve is very steep at first. Just keep reading and asking, it will slowly begin to make sense.

louiezmich

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Illinois
Thanks everyone. I figured that my hopes were too good to be true but none the less I will keep doing my homework and learn about blends, cuts, and styles. Guess ill try out the quality first and see what I like to go from there. Now I didn't really like the concept of chemically spraying the tobacco to make aromatics but can anyone recommend tobaccos for me to try. Something that would pertain to a cigar smoker like myself?

drjohn

Lurker
Feb 3, 2013
Spend your time looking at reviews online. I usually do my research before investing in a purchase. I would say read about 20 reviews on a particular tabak, if 15 are positive then it means it is a good tabak. So far this method has not done me wrong. I have been very happy with my purchases which could only have been made thanks to the reviews made by other brothers of the briar.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
My local B&M has about a dozen tins open for sampling, but I believe you have to ask and I'm sure people are not allowed to freeload. I shop there about once a month and have been offered samples as appropriate. It's one of the reasons I continue to give them my custom (good advice from the staff is another). (It's John B. Hayes in Northern VA.)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Louie, since you're used to cigars, I think you'll be able to jump right in to some heavier or more complex blends. I'd suggest GLPease Westminster and Caravan (classic English and great Balkan, respectively), Presbyterian Mixture (a blend that will help you decide if you like oriental-forward blends), Dunhill's Nightcap (a hearty blend that mixes perique in a full-bodied English), Rattray's Marlin Flake (a Virginia flake with a touch of perique), Samuel Gawith's Navy Flake (Virginia/burley flake, with rum), and McClelland's Anniversary (Virginia/cavendish).

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
louie - one of the many virtues of a pipe club is that members often bring a lot of tins which makes for a tobacco tasting event. Pipe shows have loads of open tins for samples. Where are you located? I know many of the B&Ms and can steer you to ones that have a policy of making open tins available.
hp

les

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My personal experiance with the shops that let you try it, is that they have many "in house blends" that they swear they made themselves with their own "blender" but it is all renamed classics and cheap terrible aromatics.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
+1 Eric.
True blenders are as rare as hen's teeth these days...
(IMO - blending two factory blends together does NOT count, even though it may take effort)
Tobaccoreviews, forum opinions, and some of the other resources listed above are imperative to finding blends to your taste.
Note that I said "blends to your tastes" - there are plenty of excellent blends out there that I just don't like and the same will go for you. You will have to sample the different styles widely before you get a good idea of your own preferences.
As well, do not presume that you need to smoke aromatics unless you have an incredible sweet tooth. As a cigar smoker, you probably appreciate a wide variety of straight tobacco flavours. Leap right into the different Virginia, perique, latakia, oriental, and burley blends out there without hesitation...

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
What Eric says, based on his experience, happens as well, but I've been in more than a few shops where open tins are available for customers to sample.
I wish I had one of those! Only three good shops within two hours of where I live, I'm lucky if they let me sample renamed blends like 1-Q and terrible no-name, renamed aros (zero detectable taste). The only tobaccos I trust now are from tins after those experiances! Sounds good though Rotknh :)

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Lou,

You said that you are not far from the location of the Chicago Pipe show. You'll find more blends to sample there to take with you than you'll find anywhere. Make it a point to get to the Chicago show even if it's only for an afternoon. I know it's still several months away, but don't pass up the opportunity to meet likeminded pipe folks of all ages.

louiezmich

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Illinois
I recently had a great experience at 8 to 8 cigars and there I was asked to become a member of the Chicago Pipe Club so i will go to the meeting and hopefully see all of you at the Chicago pipe show. Also at the B&M the man let me sample anything I wanted, maybe because I had the obvious intent to buy but I don't know.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
If I read a review for a certain brand and blend of tobacco that I just have to try I have found some B&M's will provide a sample of their blend if you call or email them. I've had a few who will send a 1 oz sample completely free of charge and others which ask only for shipping which I happily will pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.