PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Folks probably know that GLP's Samarra Limited Edition is going on sale tomorrow. Every time I hear the name of that town, I am reminded of this fable and its ironic closing twist:

“The Appointment in Samarra”
(as retold by W Somerset Maugham [1933])

The speaker is Death

There was a merchant in Bagdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the marketplace I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture, now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me. The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the marketplace and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning? That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Bagdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra.

I can't help but think that this is is the story of all of us. We all try to avoid death, but we're fated to always meet her at the end.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That's a healthy attitude to take . . . I think. There's not much to be done about it anyway.
it's going to happen might as well be friends with it, kind of like that one guy at the office. Honestly though I can't imagine death being that bad, now the path to get there seems like it's capable of limitless nightmares. But once all is said and done..... I once had my life flash before my eyes and it was a much calmer experience then I thought it would be, sure certainly some disappointment but could have done worse. Food poisoning can be really terrible especially when you don't know it's food poisoning.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
it's going to happen might as well be friends with it, kind of like that one guy at the office. Honestly though I can't imagine death being that bad, now the path to get there seems like it's capable of limitless nightmares. But once all is said and done..... I once had my life flash before my eyes and it was a much calmer experience then I thought it would be, sure certainly some disappointment but could have done worse. Food poisoning can be really terrible especially when you don't know it's food poisoning.
I almost drowned once. I got to the point of complete exhaustion and couldn't keep my head above water anymore. Right after thinking this-was-it, someone grabbed and saved me. (He walked away before I could get his name). You're right, it wasn't terrifying. But still, I rather have it happen later rather than sooner.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I almost drowned once. I got to the point of complete exhaustion and couldn't keep my head above water anymore. Right after thinking this-was-it, someone grabbed and saved me. (He walked away before I could get his name). You're right, it wasn't terrifying. But still, I rather have it happen later rather than sooner.
yeah weirdly at that moment it just kind of is funny fact is that dangerous things often aren't scary until you realize you're safe during you are too focused on the immediate to really digest how scary it is.

Reactions: mingc

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
Actually, W. Somerset Maugham got it wrong: Death did give the guy a warning that morning, and the guy went in despair to his local pub. The publican asked what was wrong, and the man said "Death has just told me that he's got an appointment with me tonight at 11 sharp at my place". Then, the pub landlord advised him to get a disguise, shave his head, put on false whiskers and not to go home that day. Afternoon comes, evening comes, night comes. The clock strikes 9, strikes 10, strikes 11 and nothing happens. When it strikes 12, the door opens and in comes Death, who goes to the bar. The poor guy is cringing in the table by the corner. Death says "bring out the brandy, Joe, lousy day, today". "How so?". "I had a client to sort out today, even let him know, and the guy does not turn up. But if I can't find him soon, I'm taking that baldie there!"

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
But on a more serious note, it is worth being aware of our own mortality; it helps to ask yourself what a good life looks like. Personally, my own beliefs help me see it as simply the threshold into something else, better and more.
As far as pipes are concerned, good old Bach once wrote a song about how his smoking a pipe helped him think about the post-long term.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
But on a more serious note, it is worth being aware of our own mortality; it helps to ask yourself what a good life looks like. Personally, my own beliefs help me see it as simply the threshold into something else, better and more.
As far as pipes are concerned, good old Bach once wrote a song about how his smoking a pipe helped him think about the post-long term.
death is what makes life special. It is what makes it more then just what happens.

Jan 27, 2020
Considering its yet another blend with a 3.5* or higher rating by those who get such things before they're released I ordered two tins.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I have no fear of death. Being part way there is something to be scared of...

According to some, it’s not we who die...

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.
~John Donne

Status
Not open for further replies.