PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Sadly it is the only Sam Spade story that Dashiell Hammett wrote.
Nope, there's some shorts,too. I've got an ancient hardcover called The Adventures of Sam Spade, published by Tower Books in 1945. There are 3 Sam Spade stories: "Too Many Have Lived", "They Can Only Hang You Once", and "A Man Called Spade".

He wrote a lot more about the Continental Op, though.

Dec 24, 2012
I am a huge Bogart fan. All the ones you mention are great. My favourite of his is The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
If you want to see three underrated Bogie gems, watch High Sierra, The Two Mrs. Carrolls and In A Lonely Place. Brilliant films.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My favourite of his is The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
Same here. If I had to pick one, it'd be that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My favourite of his is The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

I guess I'm going to have to give that one another shot.

It's never been one of my favorites...

Of course; it's been years since I have seen it...

Just seems (pardon the pun) out of character.

:puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
A great review here by the late Roger Ebert
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-1948

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Peck:
I love "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and want to point out that the Norte Americano Dobbs keeps hustling in the square is the movie's director, John Huston in a great cameo.
"Sierra Madre" is another favorite but I have very little to no memory of "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" and "In A Lonely Place." I know I've seen them but, after your post, I know I need to watch them again. The former reminded me of "A Place in the Sun" which, after 40 years, still bothers me to this day.
Fnord

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
You can obtain your very own piece of "the stuff dreams are made of" without paying a million bucks!
http://www.hauntedstudios.com/products.php?cat=42
The bird looks like an exact replica from the movie. I really need a falcon for my mantle!
Love the movie, one of my favorites. Not too shabby for Huston and Greenstreet's first films.
No affiliation with the site, just thought it was cool.
CACooper

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Rolling your own is still extremely common in the UK Especially among younger smokers. I too roll my own though trying to cut it out and having some degree of success.
The main reason I suspect it is so popular is the frankly rude price of tobacco and ready rolled cigarettes here. A pack of 20 here is about the £9 mark which at current exchange rates $15 a pack. I would say half the smokers I know roll their own. Most are under 30 years old.
Also, although there are many options in the way of rolling tobacco the two brands that are almost exclusively used are Amber Leaf and Golden Virginia.
I do not really mean to dig up such an old thread but was intrigued that someone was surprised to see this as it is uncommon where they come from.
Is rolling your own so uncommon these days across the pond?. I have not been to the states for over 10 years now but come to think of it I never saw anyone do it while I was there.
James

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Sam did smoke roll-ups in the book, Hollywood was faithful there. But the book also states that Sam "looked like a blond Satan".

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
"While I'm typing this "Sam Spade, Detective" with Howard Duff is on my Sirius radio".
The Howard Duff run of Sam Spade is one of the greatest remnants of OTR. I only wish more of the shows had survived. Duff was a very different Spade from Bogart, with much more of a sense of humor. But both men are absolutely brilliant.
As for the movie, I'm with the herd. It's an all-time classic, and I can watch it almost endlessly.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Funny this post should pop up again.
After watching the Maltese Falcon for the 30th time and telling my wife (for the 30th time) I would love to get a striker lighter like Sam had on his desk - she gave a big sigh, went into the closet and came out with this little jewel - it's my Father's Day Gift, but needs to be restored.

She also had bought a Parker Art Deco Fan Dancer Lighter. Both are for my smoking room that we're working on.

For Christmas she had my 1942 Western Electric Telephone restored to orignal but modern day working order. The grand-daughters love it now that they realize it isn't portable.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Lawrence, great post, I watched the Falcon last week and I noticed the humidor & pipes. I even thought about posting about it. Did you notice in a later scene that the humidor has moved across the room?
There is a plague in the alley near Bruit & Bush Street in San Francisco marking the site where Brigid O'Shaughnessy gunned down Miles Archer.
Fnord, couldn't agree more with your comments about The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca. There are none cooler than Bogart. Everything a boy needs to know about being a man can be learned from Rick and Sam ! I love all the noir guys and especially the women but Bogart is the best.
Have you ever seen them on the big screen?
Plateauguy, that lighter is fantastic! you've got a good woman there!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Sadly it is the only Sam Spade story that Dashiell Hammett wrote.
Sam Spade is cool and I loved the book, but Nick Charles is extremely entertaining and I believe that "The Thin Man" allowed a little more in character development. If only Huston could have directed that movie.

collinj

Lurker
Jan 11, 2014
There's a picture floating around here of Bogie with a pipe.
Big fan of his. I have the box set. 22 Films or something. Looks like I know what I'm doing tonight...

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I love that this thread has been resuscitated!
Jazz - if you're still around: When I made my 2nd schoolboy jaunt through Europe in the late 70's my duty free cartons of Benson & Hedges played out in Amsterdam. I very quickly became adept at hand rolling Samson and Drum loose shag tobacco: a trait my Half & Half smoking grandfather would've approved. I smoked them for six months before I ended up in Argentina - but that's another post in and of itself.
Carlomarx - my fellow jarhead dad: Bogie, the Duke, Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart and Gregory Peck brought a lot to the table. They helped form me, and hopefully my twin sons as well.
Edgreen: I love the Nick and Nora series of film: Hammett was a recovering alcoholic who wrote the Charles couple with tongue planted firmly in cheek. It must have provided a vicarious pleasure the way those two sluiced down adult beverages.
Collinj: I'd love to borrow that 22 movie set from you.
Fnord

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Useless fact for you guys! The tobacco Sam Spade was supposedly smoking was Bull Durham which came in the those little cloth sacks and was sold under the slogan 'Save your roll. Roll your own'. I have been told the tobacco was very fine cut to make hand rolling very easy. I just thought I would check in from the UK and say Hi!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
African Queen.. the scene where he climbs back in the boat covered with leaches and once they get them all off the look on his face when he decides he has to go back in the water is priceless.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If by chance there are any Bogie fans who have not seen Eastwood’s White Hunter Black Heart, you’d probably enjoy it. One of his most underrated films, imo...centered around the making of The African Queen. Clint’s character is based on John Huston.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzbaxXTaYKw

Status
Not open for further replies.