PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello tobacco experts, a pretty simple question for you. Does the tonquin flavour of 1792 Flake diminish over time if stored?
I have been offered a tin with a little age on it and as I'm not a huge fan of the tonquin flavour I wonder if I ought buy it and age it some more in the hope that I will taste more of the tobacco than the flavouring.
Any advice is most welcome.
Regards,
Jay.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I'm no tobacco expert, but I have smoked a good amount of this wonderful flake for years. My take...

The bitterness and vanillaish flavor seem to fade a bit, but some of the subtle vanilla and herbal quality do stick around. It mellows a bit with age and smooths out IMO

The only way to know if it rings your bell is to try it. As long the the expense isn't too much more than a new tin, worth the effort I think.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Big caveat-I have not smoked 1792. I am a huge fan of Sam's flake which is has tonquin and comes overly wet. I've found 10 seconds in the microwave does diminish the tonquin a good bit.

It is too bad that there isn't a non-flavored equivalent to some of these Lakelands. The cigar-ish flavors of 1792 is delicious, but I can't stand that tonkin bean either. I've heard many say that it is vanilla-like, but to me it is just weird. I would really enjoy just the straight tobacco though.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
To me 1792 is a very bitter taste, like an IPA almost. If you don't like it at all fresh I don't see how you'd like it aged, the only 1792 I've tried was 5 years old and when I found the right pipe it brought out the bitter taste which I enjoy

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Hello tobacco experts, a pretty simple question for you. Does the tonquin flavour of 1792 Flake diminish over time if stored?
No.
Okay, to be fair, I'm sure the tonquin flavor degrades somewhat over time; however, if you happen to find that particular taste disagreeable, even small doses can be tongue numbing.
I think tonquin bean is like deer tongue: either you dig it, or you DON'T.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Yes, the Tonquin bean flavor diminishes with time, as little as 6 months. At 2-3 years it is a wisp of vanilla, while the VA ages nicely, & is a mellow smoke.

I dedicate a few pipes as it will strongly ghost.

I like it both fresh & well aged. One of my favorite strong flakes.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
It is too bad that there isn't a non-flavored equivalent to some of these Lakelands

@ Cosmic - SG's "Lakeland Dark" is an unflavored 1792. It just has an unfortunate name that everyone associates with granny scented tobacco.
BTW - I saw another thread recently about a geranium/granny's floor mat/stereotypical lakeland scented tobacco and the poster blamed Tonquin. It is NOT the same flavor. Tonquin is a bitter vanilla and slightly herbal flavor/aroma. It is not the geranium stuff.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
It is too bad that there isn't a non-flavored equivalent to some of these Lakelands. The cigar-ish flavors of 1792 is delicious, but I can't stand that tonkin bean either. I've heard many say that it is vanilla-like, but to me it is just weird. I would really enjoy just the straight tobacco though.
Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark is the same base tobacco as 1792 flake just without the tonkin topping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not a user, but just to extend the usual warning, if you want to try 1792, smoke it in a designated pipe. A MM cob is perfect, preferably a basic model you can throw in a drawer if you decide not to continue with these blends. This stuff is the essence of ghosting, and it will not go away, it's said.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I've heard many say that it is vanilla-like, but to me it is just weird. I would really enjoy just the straight tobacco though."
Michael, I couldn't agree more. However I don't find the tonquin flavour to be as offensive as I find Latakia to be. I have smoked fresh 1792 flake and was rather non-plussed by it and also have some of the plug version aka 'Cob Plug' and that too didn't impress me too much either.
However I think I shall go for the deal and sit on it for some while. I do have someone in mind if it eventually doesn't come up to scratch.
Thanks for your responses chaps, it's much appreciated :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have some 1792 with 6 years of age on it and I just smoked it this past weekend. I would say, yes it is quite subdued but I don't really remember how it was fresh out of the tin. I see a lot of folks complaining about the heavy tonquin but I never really got that with it. To me, it's a nice, earthy, dark smoke.

I've heard many say that it is vanilla-like, but to me it is just weird. I would really enjoy just the straight tobacco though

They made it, it's call Lakeland Dark (I think).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've had both Lakeland Dark and 1792 and I would be really surprised if they're the same flake, plus or minus the flavoring. The color is different, too, but maybe that's because of the flavorings in 1792 (assuming they're the same basic flake). 1792 has a reddish-brown, muddy look to it, whereas Lakeland Dark is darker.
But to your question, Jay, I've let a tin of 1792 dry out completely and while the tonquin had faded a bit, it was still very noticeable (to my nose). Lakeland Dark would be worth your trying in any case.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I've had both Lakeland Dark and 1792 and I would be really surprised if they're the same flake, plus or minus the flavoring."
Now that is really interesting Pitchfork as though the two blends are said to be the same only one having tonquin and the other not I also found them to be very different. In the Lakeland Dark I got hints of burnt rubber (which I dislike) but I did not detect that in the 1792 Flake (or Cob Plug for that matter).
I don't actually detest tonquin, it's just one of those flavours that I would normally avoid. I have decided to buy the tin anyway and shall sit on it for a while.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That's interesting, Pitchfork. I've not tried the Lakeland dark yet, I've just heard that it was 1792 without the tonquin. Doesn't Sam Gawith market it as such?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's interesting, Pitchfork. I've not tried the Lakeland dark yet, I've just heard that it was 1792 without the tonquin. Doesn't Sam Gawith market it as such?
I didn't think so, but maybe they do. I checked their website and it didn't say that for Lakeland Dark there. And I'm not claiming it's not, just that if it is the same flake, it looks drastically different when the 1792 sauce has been added to it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark Broken Flake pipe tobacco is the same as 1792 Flake but without the addition of Tonquin Bean. It is comprised of dark air-cured Virginia tobaccos which are cold pressed for a few hours before a good three hours in the steam press at full heat. This produces a strong and powerful smoke which is smooth and creamy."
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.