PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Well guys, I think the cotton balls did the trick! I just smoked my first bowl in it a little while ago, and it was very nice! Since I had planned on using this as another English blend pipe, I went with Frog Morton On The Town for it's first smoke. The pipe smoked nice and sweet all the way to the bottom, and without a single relight at that! I think I'll go with the cotton balls on the next one as well, and maybe from now on if it does this well! Thanks again guys for the advice!

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Nice petes! Frog Morton, yummm

I'll have to try cotton balls on the Kaywoodies I have coming. I assume most bowls need more than one cotton ball stuffed in them?

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Iam not opposed to cotton balls, however i prefer kosher salt. i like hearing it may take longer with cotton balls. I have used both methods, perhaps i did not give the cotton ball(s)long enough to absorb all the gunk. i will definitley give the cotton balls another try. Also like hearing the mixed opinions here.
Take Care.

Mike.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
perhaps i did not give the cotton ball(s)long enough to absorb all the gunk.
Maybe there wasn't as much gunk in that particular pipe.

How do you clean the salt out of the pipe? When I used kosher salt I had a hard time getting the salty taste to dissipate.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
The cotton balls are definitely easier to clean up. With the salt, I'd have to break it loose after it set up, then rake it out with a 3-in-1 tool, twist multiple paper towels into the bowl, run about a million bristle and fluffy pc's down the stem and then blow the stem out, ect..... With the cotton balls, pull them out, run a paper towel in the bow and a fluffy pc down the stem and you're done. That simple!

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
May i also suggest a tip giving to me buy Pruss wipe the inside of the bowl with alcohol and lite it up to get rid of any cotton furs that stick around.
Glad that the C/A worked out for you its the only way I have done it and the only way i will do it.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Well Cortez, i just pick it out and a soft bristle tooth brush for removing any left over salt. I do not detect any salt taste after the salt removal. You maybe correct about the pipe not having alot of gunk while using the cotton ball(s). For sure it is much cleaner as far as the mess goes. I do think it take longer for absortion using cotton balls.
Take Care.

Mike.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I usually use salt when I think the pipe is really bad condition. The cotton balls worked well for me especially if you dont let the bad get real real bad. I can tell you if I but an estate pipe, for the first cleaning I use salt, but thats just me.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah Smokey. I always give the bowl a bourbon wipe out and then a little bit of flame. It doesn't flame up, but it gets rid of whispies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
image41-600x450.jpg

Well, I finally figured out how to post pics using my wifes computer, so here it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.