PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
Why not just use a low boiling benzine for cleaning out the last residues of cake? in theory it should be much more effective, as ethanol is relatively polar, while all that carbon stuff should solve better in more unpolar solvents. Drying afterwards should work about the same.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Why not just use a low boiling benzine for cleaning out the last residues of cake? in theory it should be much more effective, as ethanol is relatively polar, while all that carbon stuff should solve better in more unpolar solvents. Drying afterwards should work about the same.
That's undoubtedly true -- I find mineral spirits to work much better than alcohol when cleaning bike or engine parts, and it dries relatively quickly -- but most people aren't going to like the idea of smoking a pipe with any amount of that residue present.

Reactions: itsnotuitsme

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
That's undoubtedly true -- I find mineral spirits to work much better than alcohol when cleaning bike or engine parts, and it dries relatively quickly -- but most people aren't going to like the idea of smoking a pipe with any amount of that residue present.
That's one part of the question - would there even be any residue left after drying it properly? Also, there are many nasty compounds found in smoke (of any organic origin, not specifically tobacco of course) - i think to be rational about this, one would have to compare if there would be a significant difference to "normal" smoke.
The other part would be, if a treatment like that may have detrimental effects on the material itself.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
That's one part of the question - would there even be any residue left after drying it properly? Also, there are many nasty compounds found in smoke (of any organic origin, not specifically tobacco of course) - i think to be rational about this, one would have to compare if there would be a significant difference to "normal" smoke.
The other part would be, if a treatment like that may have detrimental effects on the material itself.
When I clean a bike part in mineral spirits, it will seem dry to the touch the next day, but will still smell faintly of the solvent for a while after. I suspect the solvent dries asymptotically. So it's a matter of what you're comfortable with.

The usual alcohol (or hot water) treatments work so well, and have enough evidence as to their safety, that there isn't much need to do anything else. Perhaps nonpolar solvents might have a use in exorcising the most stubborn ghosts. It would probably be wise to follow that with courses of alcohol and then water, and an extended drying time, before smoking.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Lignin (below), one of the main structural components of wood, contains aromatic benzene rings within its structure.

1705187262771.png

You're likely going to get chemical "stacking" (interactions between the benzene rings) to some extent and possible retention of the benzene and even destabilization of the lignin structure which relies internally on benzene stacking.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Lignin (below), one of the main structural components of wood, contains aromatic benzene rings within its structure.

View attachment 279390

You're likely going to get chemical "stacking" (interactions between the benzene rings) to some extent and possible retention of the benzene and even destabilization of the lignin structure which relies internally on benzene stacking.
See that's the type of answer to a question the O.P. can be satisfied with. Very few thread questions don't get half as good as an answer as this, bravo 👏

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany

View attachment 279390

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

Still wondering, if a mixture of only aliphates could have its merits.

Last edited:

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
Im still struggling with this.

Initially i thought i had solved it all, as my efforts led to a much better experience than before this thread, but now that i've tried smoking those pipes a few more times, i still get a noticeable (although in the background, but still annoying and hard to ignore) taste and a affinity to tongue burn i just don't have in any of my other pipes.

Edit: and yes, when i got them, they were indeed in a kind of horrible shape - i wonder if he ever reamed them...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Im still struggling with this.

Initially i thought i had solved it all, as my efforts led to a much better experience than before this thread, but now that i've tried smoking those pipes a few more times, i still get a noticeable (although in the background, but still annoying and hard to ignore) taste and a affinity to tongue burn i just don't have in any of my other pipes.
Fill the chamber with wet coffee grounds and thoroughly clean the mortise. The tongue burn is still technique, the pipe won't cause it.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
Fill the chamber with wet coffee grounds and thoroughly clean the mortise. The tongue burn is still technique, the pipe won't cause it.
thanks, will try with the coffee.

but i really doubt that the tongue burn is on my technique - i really don't ever have any problems with that - except when smoking those pipes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
thanks, will try with the coffee.

but i really doubt that the tongue burn is on my technique - i really don't ever have any problems with that - except when smoking those pipes.
The airflow is likely slightly different in those pipes and you're unconsciously adjusting your draw.

Reactions: Jbrewer2002

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
The airflow is likely slightly different in that pipe and you're unconsciously adjusting your draw.
doubt it - its 3 pipes with the same taste and the same problem.

also, those pipes are different. a really small reading pipe, a full bent with a big bowl and a billiard.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
doubt it - its 3 pipes with the same taste and the same problem.
Never mind then. If a pipe causes me any sort of displeasure aesthetically or functionally, I just throw them in the trash. Pipes just aren't important enough for me to spend much time worrying about and if I can't find enjoyment with them, out they go.

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
Never mind then. If a pipe causes me any sort of displeasure aesthetically or functionally, I just throw them in the trash. Pipes just aren't important enough for me to spend much time worrying about and if I can't find enjoyment with them, out they go.
in principle i agree with you. it's just that i like the idea of enjoying the same pipes my father did back in his days - thats why i spent so much effort. for any other gifted pipe, i'd just have given up a while ago.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss