PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
All these patents and trademarks. Those Americans and their contraptions. They sure were an industrious lot.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
But where’s the final patent for the screw stem? For that matter, where’s the patent application?

I only learned enough about patent and trademark law in law school to realize that is a specialty that I have no business trying to dabble in.:)

But let’s dabble anyway.
I'm pretty much in the same boat you are.

Today it is possible to ask the PTO to keep a patent application confidential until the patent is granted. That way, the inventor keeps his trade secrets during the pendency of the process. I don't know if that was true earlier last century. I also don't know if all failed applications are public.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
To illustrate how most parents never return the holder a penny, consider my former father in law’s 1976 patent for a dental floss holder:

IMG_3980.jpeg

You might remember the old Johnny Cash song Boy Named Sue.

P. Lee Gilbert’s mother promised a neighbor named Phylis she’d name the baby Phylis, and when he was born in 1931 she kept her promise.:)

I actually met the woman who did such an awful thing, and when my future bride introduced me as being from Humansville she replied:

I never knew anyone from Humansville worth a damn!

But, I digress.

Eschewing using his first name in full, P. Lee Gilbert grew up to acquire a chain of a dozen small banks.

But around 1960, he was flossing his teeth one morning and wondered why there were no floss holders in tooth brushes. For years after that, he tinkered around in his garage trying to design a working model of a combination tooth brush flosser and found it wasn’t as easy as he’d imagined.

After 15 years of trying out different ideas and he finally hit on something that worked flawlessly. By then he was wealthy, and found a patent attorney who informed him there was no good chance of patenting an improved toothbrush (sort of like an improved mouse trap) but the floss applicator might be a novel idea.

After about $11,000 ($62,000 in present dollars) his patent was granted in October 1976.

Then he tried selling it, and found no luck at all. It seems the toothbrush makers had no interest in adding a flosser, and the makers of flossers were happy with their product the way it was. One company wanted $20,000 to tool up to manufacture a flosser toothbrush but Lee decided to cut his losses.

But he had a box full of patent paperwork and a few samples that were good conversation pieces.

He lived past 80, and when he died he still had a perfect set of teeth.

But so did his mother, who lived to be 90 and never flossed her teeth once in her life.:)

• Wow
Reactions: milk and mingc

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That original post reads almost as convoluted as the plot summaries of some operas. With all that corporate square dancing going on, I don't know how they got any pipes made. Oh yes I do, the blue collar guys back on the factory floor.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I think the real pipe making has devolved down to one guy, with maybe some part-time help, pretty much makes all three lines of pipes.

It's the old story. Some want to make money and some want to make pipes.

Reactions: milk

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That original post reads almost as convoluted as the plot summaries of some operas. With all that corporate square dancing going on, I don't know how they got any pipes made. Oh yes I do, the blue collar guys back on the factory floor.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I think the real pipe making has devolved down to one guy, with maybe some part-time help, pretty much makes all three lines of pipes.

It's the old story. Some want to make money and some want to make pipes.

The problem with pipe making is about the same as making watches.

A man needs a pipe if he wants to smoke tobacco and he needs a watch if he wants to know the time.

But since all pipes and watches function the same as others, the one he buys is for his own vanity.

A five dollar cob pipe and a ten dollar quartz watch both work as well as any other of their kind.

And even a billionaire cannot really improve on a pipe or watch after he spends a hundred bucks.

IMG_3982.jpegIMG_3981.jpeg

To add to the woes of pipe and watch makers their products are slowly going out of fashion.

No wonder the pipe makers look for gadgets to improve sales.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123