Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Hello all,
I am as green as it gets when it comes to tobacco pipes. I purchased my first pipe, a Savinelli Duca Carlo, a month ago and had my first smoke just 15mins after with the tobacconist that sold it to me :D . I have already built the cake within the bowl and am enjoying aromatics at the moment. The pipe is great, but after doing some research on the web I decided to purchase a brand new Ser Jacopo Sandblasted Bent Dublin Maxima Maxima S2 from a reputible online retailer in order to have a smoke while the Savinelli rests (usually 48hrs).
Upon receiving and admiring the craftsmanship of the Ser Jacopo in my hand, I found a few flaws. From my understanding Ser Jacopo's are made by hand, is this true? If so, it would explain such flaws and I would feel much better about my purchase :D . I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me if the "flaws" are normal for pipes like Ser Jacopo's.
The flaws are as fallows: one side of the outer bowl dips slightly lower than the other, the shank leans slightly to one side causing the stem to lean slightly which in turn causes the silver "J" to be off center.
None of the above mentioned "flaws" are extremely noticeable, but to anyone who is OCD with attention to detail, me, the flaws pop out like a sore thumb.
Best Regards,

Sir Bogglesworth

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Sir!
Usually "flaws" are caused by a particle of sand imbedded in the briar that may cause some unsightly eccentricity.
However; your observations give me the feeling that you are looking to have someone talk you into buying that pipe. If the "flaws" are producing questions in your mind about the quality of the pipe, the quality may therefore be an issue. Those I have seen on line are very nice. I don't know enough about them to say if they are handmade or produced in a factory.

I think this is close to what you are inquiring about. If it is you might compare the one you have been looking at to this one.

(Link)

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Welcome to the Forum, Sir Bogglesworth....While I have two Ser Jacopos, I am certainly not an expert. Unfortunately, if the "flaws" are a bother to you this may constitute a big deal as far as your esthetic happiness. If that is the case I think you may be happier contacting the seller. I've never heard that "flaws" are more common with handmade pipes.....rather the opposite... :?

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Thank you Lawrence and hilojohnny for the responses.
I think I will contact the seller, just for reassurance :)
Thank you both again :)

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
hobie1dog, thank you for the comment...it got me thinking...its not like I plan on ever reselling the pipe, I did purchase it from a reputable online retailer...I'm going to smoke it tonight :) ...I was micro analyzing the esthetics of the pipe and should have believed the wife when she said the "flaws" I found give the pipe character :)

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Hah I definitely had that same problem. The more I loved something like a new pipe the more I'd find flaws because of how I'd be gazing upon it.

Then I thought..."What the hell am I doing?"

Haha the pleasure I get from it is mainly in the smoking and the pipes I have do give me that. That is what really matters.

The proof is in the puffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.