Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Most of my pipes are dull, anymore. part and parcel of handling them and smoking them.
I wipe them down with olive oil when i clean them, but that factory shine I don't get worked up over.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Be careful in the future when cleaning your pipes - you do not want alcohol on the exterior for the reasons mentioned above. An ounce of prevention...

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Yes simenon, big lesson learned. I wasnt careful enough. I like the factory shine and I like the beautiful wood grain to come out with whatever finish comes from the maker.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Oh well, consider it a lesson learned.
I have gotten a drop of alcohol on the finish of one of my Grabows before and it was a piss off, but considering the pipe was cheap it wasn't the end of the world. It made me more diligent about having a neat "cleaning area" and to be careful when you are using alcohol soaked pipe cleaners - don't use too much alcohol, don't hold them anywhere near the pipes and don't "swish" them around wildly or you could splash another pipe. Also be careful that you don't have alcohol on your hands when you pick up a pipe...
Your problems are fixable but they do require a lot of work and probably a little money. There are pros to stripping the pipe down but some people also might consider that approach to have negatives as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.