Rusticated or Smooth. What Do You Prefer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are really good versions of smooth, blast, and rusticated, and finish is only one part of pipe. I have some pipes with bland or lesser finishes that are good for other reasons. A great smooth pipe with grain and great stain is visually vibrant; blasts have a lot of nuance and feel; and rustication done with some artistry is its own quality. And there are blah versions each too.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Reactions: Reggie and JOHN72

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I like them all. I think smooth and sandblasted are very interesting for showing off the grain. A nice looking ring grain on a well executed blast is very interesting to me.

I have one of Tom Eltang's rusticated pipes to round out my collection from his. It was the latest addition, after a smooth and a sandblast. I wasn't entirely on board from the photos, but once in hand, I found it very beautiful. Pictures don't seem to capture his rustication style very well. He makes surprisingly delicate looking pipes that are very sturdy and the photos make them (especially the rusticated) look quite different than what you have in hand, from my experience.

The tactile feel of that pipe is amazing. So there's that quality as well, though I'd be very picky on which rusticated pipes I buy. Most are not very well done and many people here don't like Eltang's rustication style, so it seems to be a matter of preference as well that is maybe trickier to pin down than a smooth or blasted pipe which people more easily agree on, it seems.

I'd recommend getting a good example of each type, even if you don't particularly lean towards one of them. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised, as I did.

I like smooth most, but also like a lot of sandblasts. Generally don’t like rusticated, unless it is done tastefully and artistically.

Only rusticated pipe I own - Sasieni Rusticated Viscount Lascelles from the family era ... where the artisan actually rusticated against the grain patterns to bring out the grain. Now that’s some effort!

9C44AFCC-AD38-4818-912F-99D81488C60A.jpeg