Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I wanted to get everybody's opinions on what they think about rusticated and sandblasted pipes.
Do you think that they are different from each other or the same thing?
When I first started to get seriously into pipes, I thought and considered them both the same. Now I consider them two different things.
I think rusticated pipes just have a lot of bumps, dimples, and/or grooves carved or blasted in them and sandblasted pipes actually show grain in the pipe from the sandblasting.
Would does everyone else think?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Here are some photos to explain my thinking and opinions.
Rusticated - Notice the dimples, bumps, pits, and carving
Rusticated001.jpg

Rusticated002.jpg

Rusticated003.jpg

Sandblasted - Notice how you can see the grain pattern and the blasting emphasises it
Sandblasted001.jpg

Sandblasted002.jpg

Sandblasted003.jpg

Sandblasted004.jpg

I can understand that the two methods could be interchanged and some people consider them the same thing because; it seems to me that a lot of pipes that are sandblasted also seem to have some rustication on them as well and not just the grain 'rings'.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would say the sandblast is a form of rustication; but, of course, not all rusticated pipes are sandblasts. And what you observe is so true: the sandblast, by removing all the soft wood, exposes the grain and growth ring structure of the pipe; whereas rustication merely roughs-up the surface (often obscuring the grain structure of the wood.) That's my 2¢ worth.
As for what I think of them, I find them endlessly fascinating both visually and to the touch. I think they are cooler to the touch, which makes sense because of the increased surface area, but I don't think that's a valid reason to choose one.
ps. nice close-up pix, buddy.

mrsmokeyman

Lurker
Dec 19, 2009
alls i know is that rusticated pipes *and im considering sandblasts as a type of rustication in this statement* afford some serious value in terms of smoking quality.
I actually have only one rusticated pipe in my collection, and it was the last pipe i brought. Its a really kickass straight cavicchi billiard - about group 4 in size. The thing is effortless to smoke and was right from the get go. a stunner.
The pipe was half the price of some of his lowest smooth grades. It smokes better than my 4C grade smooth straight grain cavicchi.
after that i was hooked and have a very nice little sandblast apple bamboo heeschen on layaway right now...

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
There's no accounting for taste, as my dad used to say, but the less refined (read processed), whether it be sugar, liquor, tobacco, women, denim, the better. Give me "country style" sausage, single barrel bourbon, in other words, something with texture that seemingly brings one closer to the source, not farther from it, and you've got my attention. Therefore, I prefer the primitive, handmade look of blasted pipes.
Bruce.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I have a rusticated Bjorne Viking, and a smooth one also. They are the same bowl size, but I think the smooth one smokes a little cooler. I am not not talking, top of the line pipes though.

Bob, that's a beautiful Calabash.

oldguy

Lurker
Jul 4, 2010
i know this is an old post, but since it's still areound, i'll contribute. You are on the right track, Bob. Long ago I did not care for sandblasted or rusticated pipes, but have grown to appreciate each, when used judiciously. Rustication is good for hiding bad grain and flaws, and if done well can yield a handsome pipe. I have rusticated a few pipes that had less than stellar grain, or had flaws. Sandblasting does NOT hide grain; just the opposite! And there are some amazing sandblast artists. Check out Trever Talbert's work, probably the most extreme examples of the art. Go to this link: http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/gallery/2002.shtml[/url] and click on the "Oceanic" and check out that blast. and look at some of his other work while you're there. -LK

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Oldguy, Trever does make some amazing looking pipes. I really like his Halloween pipes.
When we were at the 2009 Richmond Pipe Show, there was a gentleman there with his collection of Talbert Halloween pipes on display. They look amazing.
You can see photos of them in Part 4 of my coverage of the 2009 Richmond Show:
2009 Richmond Pipe Show - Part 4

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Oldguy,
Talbert is truly talented... a little off the beaten track.... but truly talented.

There ain't nothing wrong with being off the beaten track.
Thanks for that cool link.
And welcome to you Oldguy, we're glad to have you.

oldguy

Lurker
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks; I'm glad to have found this site. I won't be on here every day, but will certainly check in often. I've been on Smokers Forums for years and it is another very useful site. Now I need to dig deeper into this one!

Is there a way to upload images other than an outside url link? -LK

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
To the orginal question, I consider them different. A rusticated pipe has had material removed by carving the surface with a screwdriver, nails, knife, chisel, Dremel tool or whatever. A sandblasted pipe has had material removed with air and sand or glass beads. Each method yields a distinctly different finish. Smokability remains about the same providing all else is equal.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have to agree with jcosmoasp. I was drawn to sand blasts and rusticated pipes for 2 reasons when I was starting out as a pipe smoker. First and foremost, I like that blasts or rusticated pipes seem to be cheaper than smooth pipes of the same quality and manufacturer. Combine that with reason number 2, I love the architectural detail and texture of blasted and rusticated pipes. I have to say that I prefer blasted pipes to other rustication methods because I love the intricacy of the patterns in wood grain and I love finely detailed textures.

Status
Not open for further replies.