PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Hello guys just wanted to post this...a bit off topic but anyway. My wife has really gotten into running again and I have been lifting weights and becoming more physically fit. We are both becoming healthier and we are much happier because of it. This coming weekend I will be participating in a 5k with her and have been running with her. The run is to raise money for research of Huntington's Disease. The organizers are the parents of a young girl that is afflicted with this terrible disease. We have watched her deteriorate over the past couple of years from where she could walk on her own to the point now where she is mostly in a wheelchair. I encourage any of you to find a cause near to your heart and donate in some way. If it's a 5k and you can't run it, walk it!
One other thing I have noticed that I am very happy about. Through 3 plus years of pipe smoking, my lung capacity is good to go. No diminished capacity like when I smoked cigarettes. I gave those up in 2008 and really sucked wind when I ran. Anyhow, thanks for reading! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Have a great run. Years ago I enjoyed running and did 5K's and 10K's. It really gives you an endorphin rush and

you feel happy for hours afterwards. My hip joints say don't do that any more, but I do enjoy a brisk walk.

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
Good on you for getting back into exercise. I have been lifting weights for a few years but took the summer off. I am finding it very difficult to get back into the routine. I hope the fundraiser has a huge turn out.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Have a great run dhizzy, I hope the wind is at your back.
I will be cycling about 175 miles this weekend for the MS 150 Cure for MS ride. Glad to see others on this site doing things for charity.
Dan

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I will forever hate the 5K reminds me too much of the PFT. :lol: You have fun though... I prefer the walk portion for participating in charity events. Strangely enough though I haven't been put off obstacle courses. Take care.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Thanks for the well wishes guys!
Yazamitaz, I saw the thread that was started about that awhile ago. Good on you. I don't currently own a road bike but have kicked around picking one up. I did six years as a bike officer (we road Surly Cross Check Cyclocross bikes) and it really soured me against riding on the road. My idea of a nice bike ride is on a trail on a mountain bike. I want to get the road bike though because I want to do the Police Unity Tour one day before I retire.
Teufel, I was in the Corps and know the feeling....I actually despise running but hey, its something she and I are doing together and it makes her very happy that I've joined in. And you know the saying; If mama's happy, then everyone's happy!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice job dhizzy. Kudos for helping someone out and boosting your own good health in the process. I'm still commuting by bicycle most days and put in 40-50 mile rides on the weekends. Pipe smoking has no effect. I ride a lot of rail trails to keep away from the cars.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Yeah, I see it as a win-win. I feel terrible for the girl and her parents. And Amen! Cars are awful when you are on two wheels! That is some serious mileage bro! (I think) I remember you saying that you cycle a lot when a few of us met up at Timba a couple years ago. Gas ain't cheap...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Equating the cost of burning fossil fuels to dollars makes little cents.

We've already pumped enough greenhouse gas into our atmosphere that if we stopped TODAY from using fossil fuels, our climate will not stop warming and changing our weather for generations.

Now that the process has begun to eradicate arctic ice we're learning that methane has been trapped and is being released.

Man's influences over his environment will take Earth time, not MAN time to regain a more normal and protective atmosphere.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Hey newbroom, I respect your opinion but let's not have this thread take a dive over a debate concerning global warming. We are discussing running/cycling and charity not the theory of manmade global warming.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
I did a 5k last Weekend for FAVOR, Faces and Voices of Recovery, since I work as Mental Health/Addictions Counselor. Most of these runs go to a very good cause and I think it's money well spent. I'm 63 and my pace would embarrass a tortoise but I always feel better when I do it. Am training for a Half Marathon in December. Always enjoy a bowl of one of the Frogs or OGS in the evening.
toadshade

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
32:14 guys. I need some work. My wife beat me by about a minute and a half!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Congrats ... a 10:22:29 per mile time is a great start! :clap:
11:47 per mile is the average pace nationally so you KICKED BUTT!!

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Haha cobguy, The funny part was, I was first in my age bracket. I'm pretty sure I was the only guy in that bracket though lol.
Yaddy, yeah I'm going to stick with it. Although I am more of the weight lifting type. I'm down 12 pounds and I ain't stoppin'! There is another one at the beginning of November that honors a local Marine KIA back in 2005. I hope to improve by a minute or two by then. Thanks for the comments gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.