PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Don't know. Crowley washed so damned many hogs in his attempt to be the Edwardian era's preeminent shock jock it's hard to parse it all out, isn't it?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Never found it all that difficult to parse out the magickal content. The shock jock? Yea, he didn't mind giving the public a noose to hang themselves with. Crowley definitely weaved a myth around himself. Richard T Coles Bogus book is an interesting read. I find his thesis much more intriguing than the actul reception of the Book of the Law.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I always saw him as just another rich, syphilitic English loony who liked to bark at the moon while wearing his screwy "English Orientalist" get-up. Any legitimate points he may have had are kind of overshadowed by his role as a silly caricature of a bogeyman.
Sorry: had to edit for a typo I missed.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
That was his point. Scare away the masses. That's how I've come to see it.
Best walk away Crowley technique: Cermeonial Magic can be done with A wine Glass, Feather, kitchen knife, paper, dirt, and crayons, The rest is your mind and your time.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I got nothing against the guy, I'm just not into the whole mysticism/occultism/whatever thing. If I was a bored rich guy in Victorian/Edwardian England, I'd probably be nutty as hell, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.