Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Corn cob is only used with burley. Briar is better for others. But when it comes to burley, corn cob enhance the enjoyment ten fold. Must have for codger blends.
I had a stretch years ago where I smoked cobs all the time, but then got into Meerschaum pipes, and from there I pretty much just smoked my Burley blends in my cobs. I found that Burley blends taste better in my cobs than any other pipe. So unfortunately, my cobs get neglected most of the time unless I'm smoking some Burley.

Reactions: BenMN and bullet08
Jan 18, 2023
I love cobs. I also love my briars. But I tend to reach for my cobs more. I used to think I needed a Savinelli or a Artisan pipe to be one of the boys. But as I'm closing in on my 1 year mark. I don't believe it anymore. Cobs are freedom personified. You can smoke anything in them as we all know, and it will be a wonderful experience .

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I’ve visited the Washington Missouri factory and they have museum on cobs there.

What gave MM the lead on cobs started with a patented plastering process that adds durability to the aged cob. Most all their pipes are still plastered, each one by hand, today. Don’t buy the “naturals”, you’re giving up quality to look like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn on a raft.:)

Also the larger cobs like the General or Country Gentleman are worth the price because of better stems, bigger cobs, and a dowel insert. Only MM can raise their patented seeds to that size to make them.

A $15 Country Gentleman or General is the best buy for any pipe in the world, I think.
My naturals have lasted just as long as my plastered ones

Reactions: BenMN and serpentx

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
I love cobs. I also love my briars. But I tend to reach for my cobs more. I used to think I needed a Savinelli or a Artisan pipe to be one of the boys. But as I'm closing in on my 1 year mark. I don't believe it anymore. Cobs are freedom personified. You can smoke anything in them as we all know, and it will be a wonderful experience .
I absolutely agree with this. I went through the same assessment. Started with a cob. Decided to get some grownup high dollar briar. None smoked, for me, as consistently as my beat up old cobs. So, the briars were basically retired. Smoked cobs exclusively. On a lark, tried a meerschaum. Now my cobs are mostly retired as well...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
All this talk of burley in a cob has got me intrigued. Not sure I've done that one yet.....
Yet.
But now I will at some point.
Burley is one of my last genres to really explore, and I've got plenty to open at the right time.
So into a cob with you, Burley!

Reactions: BenMN

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I smoke cobs regularly with all types of tobacco. I especially like smoking aromatics in a cob.
Similar to meerschaum, I think that cobs "breathe" and that seems to benefit aromatics in a way that is kinda hard to explain. 🤔

Reactions: minerLuke and FLDRD

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I smoke cobs regularly with all types of tobacco. I especially like smoking aromatics in a cob.
Similar to meerschaum, I think that cobs "breathe" and that seems to benefit aromatics in a way that is kinda hard to explain. 🤔

Agree, and cobs don't seem to ghost as readily as briar pipes can.

Reactions: DesertDan