PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Here’s a gem I found about smoking food with cobs:

Xxxx

The smoke produced from corn cobs tends to be milder and sweetercompared to other smoking woods, making it well-suited for a wide range of foods. The gentle smokiness can complement the natural flavors of meats, adding a subtle sweetness without overpowering the dish.

Xxxxx

I can see where a pipe smoker can get a taste for a cob pipe, and prefer it to briars or meerschaums.

My take on cobs is they are milder, sweeter, and less “pipey” than a briar.

And I can taste a whiff of the cob, as well.

My cobs all taste a tiny bit different, and all are really good.

A beginner is well served to start on a cob.

I don’t own a cob that smokes wet or gurgles. A cob is very porous, and by design they all have a water trap at the bottom. The top grade Missouri Meerschaum cobs have a wooden dowel on the bottom to avoid a soggy, soft, wet bottom of the pipe where the soft inner core is.

And I think they are noticeably milder than any other pipe.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I see this on the forum sometimes in regards to cobs and I just don’t agree. Most of my medium sized cobs are at least 2oz. There are medium sized briars and meers that are under 1oz.
Why doesn’t a cob just burn up?

Cobs are used to fuel stoves.

Instead with any care at all a cob doesn’t get hot to hold, some folks get a cake in them, and they make a good, mild, sweet smoking pipe.

It’s one of the mysteries I suppose,

Reactions: BenMN and Tate

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Corn cob is only used with burley. Briar is better for others. But when it comes to burley, corn cob enhance the enjoyment ten fold. Must have for codger blends.

I agree, I still prefer my briars over my cobs overall and especially for any Va or VaPer's but burley generally just tastes better in a cob pipe for me. I have only one briar pipe that is better than cobs for burley, my Dunhill County Liverpool 3110. For some inexplicable reason when I put burley in it, it makes me feel like JimInks. I can almost taste every burley nuance in his burley descriptions. Needless to say, I've pretty much dedicated that pipe to burley flakes. Normally I smoke my codger burley blends in my cobs. I especially like my MM Dagner poker. If/when I get a few more cobs I'm definitely going with an acrylic stem model.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
As I understand it, after the raw cobs are air-cured (typically over a two-year period) they develop a hardness akin to very dense hardwood, and have to be worked with carbide-tipped tools.

I enjoy the mildly sweet taste of a cob-pipe, and find that it does enhance the flavor of many Burley-based tobacco mixtures.

I’ve visited the Washington Missouri factory and they have museum on cobs there.

What gave MM the lead on cobs started with a patented plastering process that adds durability to the aged cob. Most all their pipes are still plastered, each one by hand, today. Don’t buy the “naturals”, you’re giving up quality to look like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn on a raft.:)

Also the larger cobs like the General or Country Gentleman are worth the price because of better stems, bigger cobs, and a dowel insert. Only MM can raise their patented seeds to that size to make them.

A $15 Country Gentleman or General is the best buy for any pipe in the world, I think.