PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
I recently discovered a problem with mouth burn. Not the typical tongue bit, but a general irritation of my entire mouth that was starting to make smoking quite problematic. After limiting my tobacco variations a bit and taking more notice, I narrowed it down to Smokers Pride Rum Cured. Looks like a sensitivity to some ingredient within. Really to bad as I bulk bought this particular blend/topping. I find their other blends don't give any issue, but just 1 bowl of this ruins smoking until the next day at least.

If the tobacco was still moist when you packed it, most likely you steamed the inside of your mouth with hot alcohol. That would fry anyone's mouth. Let the tobacco dry out till it is almost bone dry. Give it time to heal, and then get back up on that puppy. Smoke dry, and smoke sloooowwwwwwwwww.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
yeah, I will dry it out more. Its not as moist as many of my others though and if I smoked any slower, I will be blowing out into the bowl. it seems the slower I puff, the more pronounced the burn. And I use a Kirsten which helps keep it cool and tried "breath" smoking it as well. The most pronounced sensation in the first light up of this stuff is like cayenne pepper and it never lets up after.
I'll probably jar it and try it from time to time in the future as the last smoke of the day.
Was just wondering if some have an aversion and or reaction to certain blends and not others.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
you may have hit part of it! I dried some out to a level that is not good for most of my blends. powders on rubbing dryness helped a lot. Still a bit strong, but doable. Never thought about the possibility of alcohol as that should have long ago evaporated. I can now see that as possible as I never had a "cured" blend using it.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
^ what Cosmic said.

Last year I received a sample of Moztek Strang, and I experienced a distinct and immediate negative reaction.

I’ve never had any real sensitivities or allergies, but that Strang is one I’ll never touch again.

There are too many blends to mess with one that’s just not agreeable.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
If the tobacco was still moist when you packed it, most likely you steamed the inside of your mouth with hot alcohol.
Ah, now that sounds like a horrible feeling.

I got a hold of some rum blend from Milan I think, Sunset Rum. I was fairly new to piping, and smoked it hot in a tall narrow bowl, while hiking. I was probably dehydrated and unfocused, and I split my tongue. It was wet, packed too tight, and I smoked fast and hard. My sinuses were also fried. I was gargling with a jug of aloe Vera juice every hour for days. I couldn’t eat, and my sinuses being fried made me feel sick for days, like strept throat. It was horrible. But, I was just stupid, and now the smell of aloe Vera makes me nauseous. I make none of those mistakes now... knock on wood. :puffy:

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Good grief, Cosmic. that sounds horrific. I've had some good tongue burns, but never any actual rendering asunder of skin. Thanks for the cautionary tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.