PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Been looking at these on Smoking Pipes, this line is their cheapest and definitely catches my eye, all the ones i click on say no filter, are these made so they can't fit a filter at all, not even a 6mm? Anyone have one and have figured out a filter situation?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe the Savinelli owned Rossi brand has both filter and non-filter pipes. The least expensive Vittoria series of Rossi are mostly or maybe all non-filter. Other series may or may not have a filter. I have a Palermo zulu that is non-filter. All those that have a filter are designed for the standard Sav 6mm balsa filter. This all is based on my window shopping Rossi over the years, just to see how the line evolves, so I think I have this right, unless the line has changed recently. SP is usually precise on specs and will tell you whether a particular pipe accommodates a filter or not. As with any Sav, you can leave out the filter on any filter pipe, or if you don't want the filter but want more restricted draw, you can buy an adaptor for not much. I don't think the filter will fit in a non-filter pipe.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
mso489 is correct: Rossi is owned by Savinelli. Here’s the back story:

A pioneer in bringing briar pipe production to Italy, Ferdinando Rossi was a contemporary of the Savinelli family. Though the two family’s too were competitors in business, they enjoyed a close friendship in their private lives. Just shy of a century after its founding, the Rossi family's marque came into the caretaking of Savinelli after Rossi found itself unable to adapt to the new marketing techniques post-WWII. This same friendship is also the reason why Savinelli has kept the Rossi name alive, calling it Rossi by Savinelli and focusing on quality & affordability in a historic brand.

All of the recent Rossi pipes that I’ve seen are filterless. I have a few, and they are good smokers. If you like Rossi, then check out Savinelli. They have similar shapes and sizes, and are available w/filters.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Have several Vittoria pipes and none have filters. They smoke fine and are a great value.

Have several Savinelli pipes too and they all have 6mm filters that I don’t use.

The shapes are very similar but the finish quality is much higher on the Savinelli pipes as you would expect.

If you want a great value Rossi is your pipe but I’ve never seen a filtered option.

If a pretty finish is important to you the Vittoria line has a ton of options - so long as it is black shiny rustication, lol.

Yeah, so ... Savinelli for pretty & filter, Rossi for function at a low cost & no filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.