Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I only own one Ropp cherry poker pipe but I do like it . I try to reserve it for , what else a cherry blend . But sometimes a English may find its way into into it . I have also noticed that this pipe likes to take long rests and seems to smoke better if left in the rack a while longer than my briars . Do any of you find this true for cherry or fruit wood pipes .

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I've got several Ropps and they do seem to need a longer than average rest.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cherry wood pipes in general seem to require a longer rest. Ropp also made some excellent briars that are worth looking ito.

caliban

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
I own three Ropp pipes and I like them very much. Right now I'm smoking Mac Baren's Plumcake in a nice 921 sitter which I got on eBay this week for $20, and cleaned up and polished today. These pipes are inexpensive, cool-smoking, and not fussy. A frequent problem is some loosening of the stem in the cherrywood shank. For this, I use a little gorilla glue in the shank, and as it dries and swells up I use a paper clip to a push down a thin cylindrical inner layer. It's compressible, so after it dries, I slip the stem in and out to shape it and, presto, the stem fits in snugly and slides out easily. I would not do this with one of my Ascortis, but these Ropps respond to this tinkering very well.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
Not heard of gorilla glue but I have used nail varnish to fix loose stem,thin layer works fine and is readily available from female family members/
Tom

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
@caliban, thanks for the gorilla glue tip, I'll have to give that a try. I have used clear nail polish, its works well.

rock

Lurker
Nov 14, 2011
Gorilla is fantastic stuff but don't get any on your hands and start to dry as it won't come off with anything, I mean anything. It has to wear off with new skin growth. Makes your hands look dirty for several days. I know..

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Gorilla glue expands a lot 8O , be careful.
I've heard good things about nail polish(clear) on the stem and i use beeswax, I might need to re-apply every 4-5 smokes but I got 1 lb and it will last me a life time.

caliban

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
Gorilla glue is like a cross between super glue and Elmer's. It actually peels off easily if you don't like the result and however much it expands with air, it can be worked with and compressed. It is inert and stays in place as long as you want. In my Ropps with loose stems, they stay fixed. But I am having a problem with the first new Ropp I bought: it smokes hot. Any suggestions on how to break it in and cool it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.