PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
So what about Ropp? Thinking of buying one but am suffering what might be called inverse sticker shock. Most of them go for dirt cheap. How do they smoke? The smooths are about $125.00 and the rest for $50. Do they smoke better?

My rotation strongly leans into the two Talbert Group 3s bought from a stellar pipe seller. Ropp has these sizes. I would prefer to spend more and get more, but perhaps Ropp will do just fine.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: greeneyes

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Ropps are great and can have some amazing grain for relatively low cost. I didn't like the horn stem of the one I smoked because the button was so narrow, likely due to the material natural shape.

Last edited:

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
So what about Ropp? Thinking of buying one but am suffering what might be called inverse sticker shock. Most of them go for dirt cheap. How do they smoke? The smooths are about $125.00 and the rest for $50. Do they smoke better?

My rotation strongly leans into the two Talbert Group 3s bought from a stellar pipe seller. Ropp has these sizes. I would prefer to spend more and get more, but perhaps Ropp will do just fine.

Thank you in advance.
A few years ago at one of the oldest pipes factories in the world in St. Claude, France, one of the employees stumbled upon tens of thousands of unfinished stummels from the early part of the 20th century. Ropp didn’t even know that they had these stummels which is why they’re so inexpensive. 50,000 pipes would’ve sold out in a month in the mid-50s but that same inventory will likely last decades today.

The Etudiant pipes that I’ve experienced have all been great pipes. Some of them were originally drilled for stingers and have a very wide open draw. The stems, while comfortable, are made of cheaper vulcanite that will oxidize quickly if you’re not careful. Without a doubt, the Ropp Etudiant line of pipes are one of the best values on the market.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Chapuis-Comoy & Cie Sarl is the parent company. And they’ve been around for a long time.

And yes, the Ropp vintage and the like are old stummels that were stashed away in a factory for decades, likely ends of production runs that were just put away and forgotten about. They tend to be smaller than pipes made in the 1950’s and 1960’s, when larger stummels became more popular, especially in the US.

They are fine pipes, and a great value for the price. I have several.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ropps are great and can have some amazing grain for relatively low cost. I didn't like the horn stem of the one I smoked because the button was so narrow, likely due to the material natural shape.
My horn stemmed Ropp is more round than flat. It's alright, just wierd to get used to. I feel like it's a reed stem. However on the plus side, one part of my teeth fit the stem very well. But it's still strange to me.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
My horn stemmed Ropp is more round than flat. It's alright, just wierd to get used to. I feel like it's a reed stem. However on the plus side, one part of my teeth fit the stem very well. But it's still strange to me.
Yeah I’ve been wanting to try a 275 shape but feel like I know I won’t like it. Maybe I should stop being a sissy and just try it 😆

Reactions: didimauw

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
A Ropp billiard was the first new briar pipe I ever bought. I really liked it, but traded it for site credit at smokingpipes.com a while back. Every once in a while I really miss it. I'm sure I'll get another one at some point soon.