Robust Cigars to Complement Robust Pipe Tobaccos???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

35 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
3 Fresh Jared Coles Pipes
18 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Rossi Pipes
119 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
I was an occasional smoker for nearly 20 year and liked both pipes and cigars, but probably enjoyed cigars more; however, I never really knew a lot about either. I just knew what I liked and didn't.
Over the last year I have gotten pretty serious about smoking and gravitated more toward the pipe. I experimented a lot, and along the way my taste and my palate changed. I have found that I really like robust blends--primarily English, but also like robust Burleys like Old Dark Fired, and flavorful VAPERS like Escudo.
Since getting really hooked on pipe smoking I have not done much cigar smoking, but did the other night and what a wonderful experience I had.
Someone gave me a Liga Privada by Drew Estates--a dark wrapper / maduro cigar and it was unbelievable. It tasted much like a well packed pipe of Old Dark Fired, but with a spiciness to it. It was extremely enjoyable. It tasted much more like fine pipe tobacco to me, but then again, that is what I have become used to and what has helped me to refine my palate.
For those of you who like robust pipe tobaccos and also like cigars, what cigars do you enjoy? I may try to smoke one a bit more often. I really like the Liga Privada...but I found that they are about $14 a stick which is a bit steep.
thanks
Matt

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's been a while, a long while, since I've smoked cigars often. My best experiences with cigars, both taste and price-wise,

were with Dominicans. At the same price level, I preferred them generally, to the Cubans I smoked (in Canada, I didn't

get into the excitement of contraband). Prices have gotten so steep. One cigar costs as much as a tin of tobacco that

can provide twenty or more pipe bowls. But if someone offers me a cigar, I gladly accept.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I recommend Illusione, Viaje, and the best but a little pricey would be Padron 1964 or 1926 Maduro. All of these are top of the line robust cigars that I enjoy regularly. Hope this helps

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
The Cain cigar line is good and they're pretty stout. I'll enjoy a cigar every now and then. I used to order a box once a year from CI. They have a brand that's made by Rocky Patel. They're the "Indian Tabac Super Fuerte" offering. The corojo wrappers are the bomb-diggity for me. $56 for a box of 25. CI is the only place I found that carries those sticks, and I've yet to find a B&M that has them. I always look for them when I'm in a humidor.

CI lists them Med-Full smokes, but they're great tasting in my opinion. My only complaint about them, is they tend to burn unevenly more often than not.
I also like La Harencia Cubana's regular line. Sumatra wrapper on that one, it's Med smoke, but I've had a box of them, and found them tasty.
Ever since I picked up the pipe, I really dont look at cigars much anymore. I'm too enamored with all the great pipe tobacco. I do have a small cigar humidor, that I might just get tuned back up, and get stocked in light of the FDA BS in the works. We'll see.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I enjoy cigars by Arturo Fuente, Padron, Ashton, Don Pepin Garcia, AJ Fernandez,

Carlos Torano, Ave Maria, Rocky Patel, Bahia, Nica Libre, Alec Bradley, Perdomo,

La Gloria Cubana, Cohiba, Sancho Panza ... and maybe a couple others.
In general, I like Robusto in the 5x50 size and almost never go over a 52 ring gauge.
My most recent addition to the humidor is the Spectre by AJ Fernandez which includes

some Latakia in it ... truly unique and tasty.
Check out the Cigar / Pipe tobacco combos at P&C,

some good pairings including the Spectre with H&H Cerberus:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/tin-samplers/?f_Cigar+Shape=Robusto

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show?id=16315
I'd give the Joya de Nicaragua Antaño 1970 series a try, it got a 92 rating from cigar aficionado magazine, that's among cubans and every cigar made. My older brother loves them, and he's smoked the good cubans too. It's also the official cigar of the white house now. At under 6$ a stick it's an amazing deal.
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/An-Interview-with-Alejandro-Martinez-Cuenca_6215

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoke a box of Camacho Corojo Toros a week. Every once in a while I'll get some Fonseca Cubana Limitados. My latest treat is a toro made by Dante, San Andreas wrapper with Nicaraguan binder and filler. Very nice but also $11.00/stick.

Jan 8, 2013
Just starting to branch into cigars, but ODF is my favorite pipe tobacco, hands down. Try the Diesel Unholy Cocktails. They were pretty strong, but man were they tasty.
Cobguy- I have been thinking about picking up a Spectre just to see of it's any good, your recommendation tells me it is, I will be giving one a try.

Jun 4, 2014
Several brands I find robust are Padron thousand series maduro, Oliva Serie V, Tatuaje Fausto, My Father Le Bijou 1922. All are full body with good flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.