PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I recently was given a few green coffee beans and did a simple roast -- no special equipment. I thought it was a lot of fun though and wanted to see if anybody else on the forums there is roasting their own coffee?

Any tips would be appreciated, especially where you like to get your beans

roasted.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Side question: Is it economical to roast?
I was trying to do the math in my inebriated brain today. Looking at Sweet Maria's website (didn't look at the whole catalog), it seems that you can purchase a pound of green coffee beans for less than $8. The cheapest roaster that they had to offer was the POPPER for a whopping $99 (for roasting light to medium roast). Not to mention the fun and experience in doing it. My God, I love the smell of coffee!

Reactions: starrynight

physiognomy

Lurker
Aug 15, 2012
USA
Side question: Is it economical to roast?
Ha! Definitely can be in theory if you are buying $$ fresh-roast on the regular… not really in practice imho. More a fun hobby that can/will snowball like pipes & tobacco. I can see coming out ahead eventually if you were disciplined and maybe sold on the side. The challenge is managing green bean/shipping costs and making up your roaster cost before upgradeitis sets in. Pretty easy to start with a popper, then move up to a Behmor, HotTop, etc. Pretty soon that 3.5k Bullet R1 is calling my, sorry, your name. It surely will nail the roast on that $20-$30/lb Geisha. All part of the fun. LOL!