PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Imma post what I do but you can make it your own in any number of ways.

I buy cheap eye of round at Costco and trim the fat off it. Then it gets a light dusting of BBQ dry rub. I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub with a reasonable amount of ancho chile powder thrown in. Then a light coating of mustard is applied. I use a mix of Dijon with some spicy brown and regular yellow. Then I give it another dusting of the dry rub mix.

I smoke it at 225 F over a mix of apple/hickory wood chips until it hits 130F. Slow and low is not your friend here.

After it reaches temp it gets rested under some foil until its cool then I slice it as the as possible. I cheat here as I have a fairly nice deli slicer.

Then I halfway melt some extra sharp cheddar on a bun. I like potato buns generic store brand cheddar. And yes its our weird orange American stuff. (Forgive me @mawnansmiff .)

Apply BBQ sauce and horseradish as you see fit. I'm not ashamed to admit I like and use Arby's brand:

1000009997.jpg

Heaven.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A tri-tip roast, full fat cap or get fat from the local butcher. 200-210 degrees in the smoker until fairly firm to the touch. No rub, just a bit, a wee bit of salt and pepper so as not to overpower the beef flavor. The fat cap can be removed and used to flavor an au ju. Sandwiches seem better when the roast has sat overnight in the fridge. Add any sauces you wish to taste for an open faced, hot sandwich, a French dip or good old cheap white bread, butter and may or, whatever. Beef seems to go well with some of those sweet, tomato based sauces so many seem to associate with BBQ.

The "tri-tip" is a particularly flavorful beef cut. Used to be cheap until the masses discovered it.

Also, if you want a taste treat, Google "Santa Maria Barbeque." One of the reasons the cut went up in price as the public discovered it to be much more that a hamburger meat. It's the cut butcher's often put aside to take home.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
This thread has my stomach rumbling. Now I've got to make roast beef sandwiches again.
For the sauce, I just mix mayo and lots of extra hot horseradish. I like that "clear out your sinuses" tingle like retrohaling a heavy perique blend.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Very nice, i used to bring a top round to my local bbq place and they would put it in their massive smoker for me for $5 .. can't really beat that, then take it home and slice it up as need. Great sandwiches. As far as Arby Sauce ..im not ashamed to say i have about 100 packets of it in a box in the cabinet LOL

Reactions: shanez

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
When I was stationed across the river from Philadelpia I fell in love with good cheesesteak sandwiches. I asked the butcher in this one store what roast they used. He said the best shops used a boneless ribeye for their sandwiches.

That being said, the absolute best roast beef sandwiches I have ever had are the roast beef po-boys made at Mother's Restaurant on Poydras St. in New Orleans. Just be prepared to stand in-line as the restaurant only has seating for less than 40 people. They do one sandwich called the Ferdi Special which is a roast beef po-boy with a slice of baked ham on it.

Damn! It makes me hungry just thinking about their po-boys.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant