PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Most comedians' autobiographies are total shit, largely because they're pointless. The moment a comedian draws a little notice, his or her agent tells them to hurry up and crank out a book so we can capitalize while you've still got a shred of relevance. As such, they're chock full of whiny woe-is-me tales whose only interesting moments are in recounting their pre-fame upbringings.

Richard Lewis was much the opposite. Don't get me wrong, it was still chock full of whiny woe-is-me tales, but he wrote his memoir when his fame was largely past. He spoke candidly of his failures, faults, depression, neuroticism, alcoholism and even his eating disorder. But unlike most, he didn't do it just to share his misery like a cheap buffet; He shared in order to provide himself a means of accountability and an avenue to real change.

By book's end, he explained that he regretted being over halfway through life and still he'd never had a true relationship. This was around the turn of the century. And yet, by the time of his passing he'd been married for nearly 20 years. He was an emblem of self improvement by the time he met his end, and what's better than that?

R.I.P.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Most comedians' autobiographies are total shit, largely because they're pointless. The moment a comedian draws a little notice, his or her agent tells them to hurry up and crank out a book so we can capitalize while you've still got a shred of relevance. As such, they're chock full of whiny woe-is-me tales whose only interesting moments are in recounting their pre-fame upbringings.

Richard Lewis was much the opposite. Don't get me wrong, it was still chock full of whiny woe-is-me tales, but he wrote his memoir when his fame was largely past. He spoke candidly of his failures, faults, depression, neuroticism, alcoholism and even his eating disorder. But unlike most, he didn't do it just to share his misery like a cheap buffet; He shared in order to provide himself a means of accountability and an avenue to real change.

By book's end, he explained that he regretted being over halfway through life and still he'd never had a true relationship. This was around the turn of the century. And yet, by the time of his passing he'd been married for nearly 20 years. He was an emblem of self improvement by the time he met his end, and what's better than that?

R.I.P.
Well said. And I hear his favorite blend was Rouxgaroux, don't ya know? 😃

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
His autobiography sounds like it might be worth a read.

I’m a bit skittish on comedian’s autobiographies. I read one by a very famous comedian and came away thinking “ You’re a hypocritical piece of sh** by your own admission but you seem to have found a way to rationalize it.” I couldn’t enjoy his comedy after that.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
How many autobiographies by comedians have you read for crying out loud! Must number in the hundreds to speak so authoritatively. I, for one, am duly impressed. Good for you!

• Haha
Reactions: jbfrady

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
How many autobiographies by comedians have you read for crying out loud! Must number in the hundreds to speak so authoritatively. I, for one, am duly impressed. Good for you!
I've read a good many. I haven't gotten around to checking out Kevin Hart's yet, but I will. Apart from him, I've read most every one that's come out from any comedian in interested in. (I occasionally perform comedy and I'm a nerd, so that's means reading for perspective.)