PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
He had an avuncular and curmudgeonly charm in his role as consort. Indeed he was the longest serving royal consort. Born on Corfu Greece, he actually considered himself a Dane. The assassination of his beloved uncle Louis Mountbatten by the IRA was devastating to him. Long love story with the Queen. Both he and the Queen are great grandchildren of Queen Victoria. Sort of a odd trivia fact just like the fact that the King, Kaiser and Czar were all the grandsons of Victoria.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
When he and the Queen met Stephen Menary, an army cadet blinded by an IRA bomb, and the Queen enquired how much sight he retained, Philip quipped: "Not a lot, judging by the tie he's wearing." Menary later said: "I think he just tries to put people at ease by trying to make a joke. I certainly didn't take any offence."
A very funny guy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
He may have had a mean streak, but I think he lived in such pomp and circumstance with so many protocols and restraints, sometimes when an inappropriate thought crossed his mind, he just let it out. When the former head of the IRA went to visit the queen, he asked her how she was, and she said something along the lines of, at least I'm alive. So she had the same trait, just more directed and under control.

Reactions: OzPiper and BROBS

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's been written and, from much I've read, he didn't suffer fools politely. I admire that in a person. There simply isn't enough time in life to cater to all the emotional needs of the masses. Sometimes ... one must simply say what needs to be said without stilted language or apologies. He shunned his Nazi supporting sisters, faced the enemy in his destroyer and earned the right to be brusque and outspoken. I suspect that many times he voiced what Her Majesty was thinking but, through necessity, was unable to voice.

Suilven

Lurker
Mar 11, 2021
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
He was a good man and a strong man. Not many like him in public life these days, I don't think. He combined confidence with humility, seriousness with humour, gentleness with toughness, decisiveness with patience, action with self-control. I've always thought of Philip as a man of great character. I don't know if Elizabeth could've wished for a better man in her life. I'm sad to see him exit the stage.

Reactions: OzPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.