PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was never a regular viewer, but I sure remember the stir he caused with his many and various adventures into combining talk-show and reality TV, before reality TV was a "thing."

I think he ran his show ideas through network executives, and if they threw up in the hall, that was the show he did next.

If it wasn't seedy, seamy, steamy, and cringe-worthy, it went to the reject box.

I'd like to see a short-list of his greatest hits, as long as I didn't have to watch them.

He had the touch for bringing you both sides of controversial issues so you didn't like either side.

Anyway, may he rest in peace, as may his viewers alive and departed.

Reactions: SBC

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
anyone remember his show from the start? No because he tried to be thoughtful and actually do an intellectual show. But the seedy stuff got ratings and he went with it. I loved how he'd have a freak show but at the end he'd act all thoughtful and it always seemed a little too little to late. But what I remember the most about that show, was that the people who most belonged on the show seemed to always be the ones that where most flabergasted and shocked by the people who acted the most like them.
I did also once try to get a group of people to get on the show by lying. The plan was to have a big chain of cheating and infidelity that ends with everyone realizing after the fighting and flipping out that we could be mad or this could be the start of good time party adult fun time party.... ;) Of course we never did it (people get excited about ideas like that and then when it comes time to actually do it they get shy.)

Jun 9, 2018
England
anyone remember his show from the start? No because he tried to be thoughtful and actually do an intellectual show. But the seedy stuff got ratings and he went with it. I loved how he'd have a freak show but at the end he'd act all thoughtful and it always seemed a little too little to late. But what I remember the most about that show, was that the people who most belonged on the show seemed to always be the ones that where most flabergasted and shocked by the people who acted the most like them.
I did also once try to get a group of people to get on the show by lying. The plan was to have a big chain of cheating and infidelity that ends with everyone realizing after the fighting and flipping out that we could be mad or this could be the start of good time party adult fun time party.... ;) Of course we never did it (people get excited about ideas like that and then when it comes time to actually do it they get shy.)
Yeah, after an hour of mayhem he'd always sign off with: "take care of yourself and each other". 😂😂

Any show that had an episode titled : "I married a horse" can't have been all bad 🐴❤️😆

Whenever I saw Jerry interviewed he seemed like a really nice, funny guy.
RIP

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I actually do remember his show from the beginning he actually had some good stuff. One that I remember that's pretty famous is the young girl that was raised to hate Jewish people, so Jerry had her come to the city they filmed in and had one of his interns that was her age take her out and show her around the town they were together quite a bit and started to have feelings for each other .... when she was on the show he talked about it and brought the guy out and then let her know he was Jewish, her mixed emotions were quite the thing.

He was previously a lawyer as well as the Mayor of Cincinnati

Reactions: edger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bad taste sells, and worse taste sells even more. That vortex swallows up a lot of intelligence and talent.

Rarely people can actually backtrack. Red Fox was a stand-up comedy act that made his career on dirty jokes, and since he was a really good comic, with exquisite timing and an exuberant imagination, he did well.

Then when he transitioned to network television, he had to drop all the dirty talk, but with some good scripts and his own talent, he was brilliant anyway.

Reactions: edger

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
He holds a large degree of blame for the rise of the “reality” TV cultural hellscape of the last 30 years. His show created an atmosphere where idiocy, anti-intellectualism and a general lack of decency were celebrated.
He definitely had a hand in lowering the cultural landscape, and taking “shock value” to a new level, but most of all he took advantage of a lot of ignorant and uneducated people while using them to entertain his audience. And he profited handsomely all the while.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Though his show devolved into an ever-more-embarrassing mess (which he allowed to happen by chasing rating$), the original premise was actually defensible in a logical sense.

Which was while the public felt it was only natural to be curious about the private lives and secrets of the WEALTHY and famous---movie stars, musicians, and politicians---examining exactly the same things about the NON wealthy class was considered sordid and in poor taste.

Which seemed odd to him because the latter outnumbered the former by several orders of magnitude.

I don't think he anticipated the public's response to finally "looking there", however.

(Which also says a lot about human nature in general)

Last edited:

Buzz Saw

Might Stick Around
May 20, 2022
Southeast Indiana
Jerry was on the Cincinnati City Council in the 1970's and was mayor of Cincinnati for about a year. He was arrested for writing a bad check to a prostitute in Newport KY. I think the arrest was for the bad check, not the prostitute. He was very popular locally as a newscaster on a local TV station in Cincinnati as well, after the check incident. At the eleven o'clock news he did a very thoughtful editorial that ended with "take care of yourself, and each other". I didn't care for the later shock TV, but I did like him as a person.

Reactions: Servant King

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Jerry was on the Cincinnati City Council in the 1970's and was mayor of Cincinnati for about a year. He was arrested for writing a bad check to a prostitute in Newport KY. I think the arrest was for the bad check, not the prostitute. He was very popular locally as a newscaster on a local TV station in Cincinnati as well, after the check incident. At the eleven o'clock news he did a very thoughtful editorial that ended with "take care of yourself, and each other". I didn't care for the later shock TV, but I did like him as a person.
So he stiffed a prostitute?

Am I understanding this correctly?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Bad taste sells, and worse taste sells even more.
The TV audience is wide and varied. But, there is a lot of truth in the above. One needs to look at the audience demographics, closely, to determine those segments shows appeal to. I believe Springer had an afternoon show. Who's watching in the afternoon? Who is looking for a bit of hilarious, "low brow?", distraction/distraction?

Hopefully he will rest in peace no matter how various people view him.

Reactions: mso489