PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. —

Doc Watson, the Grammy award-winning folk musician whose lightning-fast style of flatpicking influenced guitarists around the world for more than a half-century, died Tuesday at a hospital in Winston-­Salem, according to a hospital spokeswoman and his manager. He was 89.

Arthel ‘‘Doc’’ Watson’s mastery of flatpicking helped make the case for the guitar as a lead instrument in the 1950s and 1960s, when it was often considered a backup for mandolin, fiddle, or banjo. His fast playing could intimidate other musicians, even his own grandson, who performed with him.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Saw him at the Grand Ole Opry several years go. Some Picker !!!!

xkart

Lurker
May 8, 2012
My wife and I was watching a recorded Songs of the Mountain show from Saturday night of Doc Watson & Jeff Little
when we found out last night he was definitely one of a kind.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
He was born and lived his whole life in (Deep Gap NC) Its a place in the mountains in the north west corner of the state.It's so small it's not even a town.Yet it's know far and wide as Doc's home.It's said by many who played the flat top with him that they felt intimidated by how good he was.I met him in a restaurant about a year ago.We talked briefly.He was very pleasant.I thanked him for the happiness he had brough into my life over the years.We shook hands and went our seperate ways.He was extremely good at what he did.Those of us who love his music will miss him dearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.