PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Personally I would consider rim charring to be a normal occurrence for a pipe.
From time to time I give them a good cleaning.
I generally pick pipes that are black and rusticated for everyday use and then don't worry about it.
Peterson seems to have figure that out.
Those very dark, heavily rusticated models are workhorses.
They can tumble around on the center console of a truck and you could use a propane torch to light them and they just look better with age.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Unless you are literally torching the rim, little spit and paper towel will take that off. Nothing to worry about. But I do notice, with my pipes, rim closer to stem usually get darker than others. Probably has to do with pipe hanging little higher on that side and tar and smoke collecting close to stem side.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always use matches for their soft flame and am careful not to hit the brim, but I still get a little darkening on some brims. A lot can be polished away, but over time, there is some darkening.

I choose not to get too fastidious. Like other wear, it shows a pipe has been enjoyed, and I think that's the point.

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Do I need to clean this one?IMG_20230531_085048.jpg
I've never touched a flame to the rim on this one. That's what I figure to be about 200 bowls worth of smoke licking the rim when first lit. I'm also a clincher while doing other things, and breathing sometimes smokes the pipe both in and out, which I'm sure contributes to this. It starts in the back because the pipe tilts downward and that's where the smoke mostly goes-upward. My briars are starting to get it too, I never considered it a bad thing until reading this thread. I say if it bothers you, clean it... or don't, either way your pipe will make smoke.

I don't think it's charred, maybe... tarred?

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do I need to clean this one?View attachment 225107
I've never touched a flame to the rim on this one. That's what I figure to be about 200 bowls worth of smoke licking the rim when first lit. I'm also a clincher while doing other things, and breathing sometimes smokes the pipe both in and out, which I'm sure contributes to this. It starts in the back because the pipe tilts downward and that's where the smoke mostly goes-upward. My briars are starting to get it too, I never considered it a bad thing until reading this thread. I say if it bothers you, clean it... or don't, either way your pipe will make smoke.

I don't think it's charred, maybe... tarred?
I've never had a blackened corn cob rim unless intentionally done so. I guess it's where I don't produce much visible smoke.

20230531_064733.jpg

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I pay attention to this in my nicer smooth-finished pipes. Generally speaking, it’s not hard to remove as long as you don’t let it build up.

For my other pipes, I just try to keep the pipe as level as possible when lighting. To be honest, I kinda like a little char: that’s my pipe and that char is a sign that I like it enough to smoke it regularly.

Here’s a Mark Tinsky I commissioned:

99FD46DD-2785-4F07-B32A-EFA272071597.jpeg

That’s fine with me

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Other then spit, waxing rim can help. I’m convinced some of my pipes rim finish darkens easier then others. Not sure what that means exactly other then some come clean much easier and some I just live with being a bit darker. I also use a very soft toothbrush on rims with a little warm water occasionally.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I used to do the spit & Q Tips thing but now use damp paper towel.
Works better & easier. But if the rim is charred won't get it done.

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
No need to be, they'll be fine. These are smoked regularly and often go in my pocket to travel wherever I'm going.

View attachment 225378
They need a drool emoji. Is that a Mummert volcano! You have so many gorgeous pipes. Your taste lines up a lot with mine. I don’t have any with ivory stummels/mortise?, you seem to have a lot, now I want one!

Reactions: Chasing Embers