PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I work at a sporting goods store and we sell everything you need to reload ammo. I've been considering buying some brass and making tampers from them. But the oddest think I've used is not all that odd... and old nail with a nice big flat head.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I use a Czech tool and sometimes, my finger. I have used a Chapstick now and then.
Forum members have posted some beautiful wood tampers with a cut down cartridge shell on the tamping end.

joshwolftree

I regularly use a .308 casing, I may have to play with the wood round idea...I don't have much briar around and wood have to improve my skills with the tools before I did that, and since the .308 has a narrow collar I don't know about the spoon either, maybe a pick.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I use a deer antler tine. Didn't bother to cap it, just polished the flat end and the point is perfect for cleaning out the pipe and purging my lighter before refilling.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
img_0022-600x450.jpg

img_0021-600x450.jpg

Thought you would like to see this

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I've used 7.62, 223, 45 colt, 45acp, .410 shot, 454, 40, 9, 30.06, 8mm mauser, etc etc. I do like spent .410 as a tamper, but those aren't the strangest, I've grabbed whatever is closest to me for tamping a lot which has led me to using markers, pens, drill bits, bones and ivory, batteries,(AA and AAA), leather working tools, nails screws and bolts, another pipe's stem, a stick, a rock, finger, antler, and my favorite emergency tamp....a rolled up pipe cleaner to create a "foot". If it fits, it tamps, I probably missed some.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
At the right of image a .30-06 tamper with generous dottle scoop made for me by a friend in Arkansas.

img_20170526_132005-337x600.jpg

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Tbradsim1 I love your tamper your like falkes in Scotland you have access to horn. I love it well done

joshb

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2015
I use a 7.62x54r rifle round wwii dated i fired a while back. It works great as a tamper!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I remember visiting a castle in Germany staffed by a descendant of the old aristocrats. His opinion was that Germans needed a break from war for awhile.
But, I love to hunt, and while I've never shot a hippie, and I'd like to say it is from goodwill to all men, it mainly because they do not look like they would make good eating. Find me a fat hippie and this may change... long pork!
Someone here posted something profound which was that they use those little aluminum pipe nails because if you buy a $0.50 gadget you will never lose it, but the instant you pony up for the $50 one, it will sleep with the fishes or get given away in an old couch.
I had a friend once who never gave away old couches, but burned them, so that he could get all the change back. From one he found something like ten bucks in quarters. I didn't have the heart to ask him how much the lighter fluid cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.