PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Bradley, I agree, its time to unplug. I have been to two shows in Columbus and was pretty bummed this year when funds didn't permit me to go. I am absolutely enamored by pipe shows. For starters, the sheer volume of pipes, pipe tobacco and accessories is unlike anything I've ever seen. Then there is the conversations you can have with the guys there. I really enjoy speaking with the older guys that have been there, done that and got the tee shirt.
Northernneil, I have a feeling that if you went to one, you would care a little more. The internet is not the end all be all. At times, its the bane of humanity if you ask me. I can't stand facebook, twitter and the like. This is as close to social media as I get. The internet has its place but some rely too heavily upon its resources. Like kids these days...I used to have to go to the library and use the Dewey Decimal System o look up a resource to write a paper. Now they just ask the oracle (google) and its at their fingertips. There's no pursuit of knowledge anymore. Ok, rant over.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
For many years this was the show for me, the only show. Finacial reasons in recent years have prevented me from attending, although does not keep me from trying to figure a way to get there. Walt thanks for those pics, I have fond memories of that show, the people and personalities I met there. So many great people,man! To think it's going away sadens me, yes the loss of any show is a loss to us all....BUT this show started it all. To the CORPS,

thank you for your years of dedicated service to the promotion and love of all things pipes. I will cherish the memories, and people I met through the Richmond CORPS shows. :crying:

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
This is sad news. I hate to hear about the loss of any show. I made the trip for the KC show this summer and it was one of the highlights of my summer. Such a memorable experience that can only be had at a pipe show.
I really hope this is only a break for Richmond.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It would be great if young or even middle aged pipers heeded Porshcigar's call to arms and became active in a local pipe club and if their club has a major event be a force in making it happen. I can think of two others shows that might hang it up due to a lack of member participation.
Being in a pipe club has to mean more than just showing up occasionally to smoke your pipe with some cronies.
Obviously if you live within a reasonable distance of a show it would be great if you would attend.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
This is sad. I have gone to about ten of the shows, some working the show as a vendor, some helping the club at the sign in tables, conference rooms, etc. and some as a spectator. It has always been a great show and the guys who put it together are one in a million. I don't think that the majority of people who go to the shows or read about the shows on the net have any idea of what it takes to actually put one on. They are never there when the hotel manager calls you at two in the morning about the folks in non-smoking room 203 setting of the smoke detector or twenty minutes before you are going to open the doors for vendor set-up you discover that your tables are not arranged to match the map. They don't see it when hotel staff come up and inform you that a "guest" is smoking their pipe in the main lobby even though it is posted no smoking. They don't see the prep work in making sure all of the name tags are set up and ready to go or that all of the "night before" dinners are taken care of before the banquet hall opens. They don't get to hear the complaint of a seller not getting the table set-up that they had hoped for and that's why their product isn't selling like it should. Please don't take this as all negative, just some examples of challenges that happen at every show "behind the scenes". For the folks putting on the Richmond show, it is truly a labor of love that coinsides with being a thankless job. For the folks at CORPS who put this together, it is a year round job. As soon as one show was over they are already on step twelve of the next years show. They have always put together a show that stands out among the rest.
However, over the last few years, I am sure that the challenges have grown. It is always hard to find a location that the majority of people will be happy with. Up until a couple of years ago, CORPS had managed to be able to do the next to impossible here in Richmond....they had a show at a hotel that was large enough to accommodate all of the vendors and folks coming into town for the show. They were also able to do it for an entire weekend, (the majority of the shows over the columbus day weekend to boot). Then,they had to relocate the event to the convention center. This took away from a big part of the show. One of the major attractions to any pipe show, (at least for me), is the pre-show fun. Usually the night before a show, the vendors will open their rooms. It is always a great time to meet with, talk with, and generally catch up with old aquaintances. When CORPS had to relocate the show, they were forced to book blocks of rooms at multiple hotels around the center. This in effect took away from the "pre-show" get together. This is not the fault of CORPS, but a direct reflection of how much the times have changed. It used to be that when a show was held, you could smoke anywhere you wanted. Over the years, that has vanished and it is a challenge just to get the hotel to allow smoking in the main showroom. Yet the folks at CORPS managed to get it put together and make it work. I'm sure that over the years, the guys have grown weary of the constant wear and tear putting the show together takes on you and now are taking a much deserved, (and needed), break.
I read in an earlier post that the person felt the show that they went to was lame. I have heard that from a few people over the years. I still don't understand how. I find it exhilarating to be able to go into a room and meet face to face with some of the top pipe makers in the industry. In one day at the Richmond show you can meet and talk in detail with the likes of Rad Davis, Erik Nording, Michael Parks, Michael Lindner, Jeffrey Burt-Gracik, Brad Pohlmann, Joe Skoda, Paul Bonacquisti, John Eells, Lee Erck, and Alberto Bonfiglioli just to name a few of the pipe makers that are usually there. Or maybe discuss a new blend with the Dark Lord himself, Greg Pease or the great folks at McClelland Tobacco. These are the top folks in the industry, the ones that we purchase from on the net with the click of a button or in our local B&M's. It is incredible when you actually get to meet the person that made the pipe you are smoking and they tell you the story behind the inspiration. Mix that with the vendors selling their wares and you have the luxury of being in the largest pipe store on the East Coast, (even if it is only for a couple of days). I usually find that I have "system overload", but man is it fun!!!
I'm going to miss this show and I hope that its absence is only temporary. And a very big thank you to the guys that made sure that this event was so spetacular for thirty years.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Pipes are more popular than ever, yet the Richmond show is ending. Strange but true. Richmond was my very first pipe show and it was 1987. All it was back then was B&M's displaying their inventory and a few distributors and a very small number of carvers. Many of whom are either no longer carving or who have passed.
You know what? Those guys deserve a break. It's like a person when they retire -- you hate to see them go, but they deserve it.
Maybe there will be a young group to rise up & take over the tradition of the Richmond show. Who knows.
If not, it's sort of a shame - but there are new clubs and shows popping up all the time.
All I know is that I'll be there and have a damn good time!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
While it is quite disappointing to hear that the Richmond CORPS show will be fading into history, we have to be careful not to extrapolate the meaning of its demise into a condemnation of the pipe smoker. There is a lot of conjecture over why the CORPS club has chosen to not continue the show, but not a lot of factual information. This probably has to do with the professionalism and good taste of the OP, not wanting to divert attention from the last show. What can be garnered is that putting on a show of this magnitude is not only time consuming, but requires a goodly amount of skill. It is the sort of undertaking usually accomplished by professional show promoters. To do this with a volunteer staff is not only admirable, it's damned near impossible. I'm guessing that the demise of the show has a lot more to do with this and less to do with the support of the pipe-smoking community. To berate the community over it's perceived lack of support is not only misplaced, it's counterproductive. Crowds will come if they are enticed, not if they are shamed, and it seems to me that CORPS has done an exceptional job of enticement.
A note about vendors and auctions: I have helped to run several benefit auctions. While it always disappointing for the benefiting organization when an auction item doesn't bring it's full value, that is not necessarily so for the vendor that donated the item. Donations are most often made as a business decision (based on the perceived advertising value), and not as a charitable contribution decision.
When all is said and done, it would be nice to get the rest of the story on the decision to end the show. But until then, there is one more show, and I intend to be there, because it will be a lot of fun.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo spa - Over the years, a Morley contingent has indeed faithfully gone down to the Richmond Show. In fact, there are several car pools worth. Some of us are also button-wearing members of the Richmond PC. Next week's Morley's meeting will be an excellent time to finalize the planning for tripping down there.
hp

les

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Shame that it's the last one, at least for a while, and it is so close to me. Oh well, at least i'll get to enjoy it while it lasts this year, as i plan on making the grueling 1.5 hour drive up there, lol.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have at least two extra seats in my car, driving down from Hagerstown MD on Saturday. PM me if you need a lift. (going down and back on Saturday only)
I'll post my usual sign for the "Forums Meet & Greet" at a table, for 1 PM.
The Morleyson group was down in force last year and I really enjoyed hanging out at their table in the afternoon, that was alone worth the drive.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
The first time I attended the C.O.R.P.S show I had about $600.00 on me. That lasted about an hour. It was a lot of fun. I saw pipes I had only read about before that. I bought four pipes that day. A Dunhill, an estate Savinelli, an estate Barling and and something else. I still have the Savinelli and the Barling.

On my second C.O.R.P.S show I met Bill Taylor. He had a nice group of pipes and would gladly tell you about each one. I passed on an absolutely gorgeous straight grain Ashton. Price...$400.00. Since I had just arrived. I wanted to see what else was available. After making one round I went back and the pipe was gone. I still kick myself for not buying it.

Attending the Richmond pipe show was like being in heaven for me. I would roam around for three or four hours and always came away with some great pipes and tobacco. I never realized so many people suffered the same addiction I did. Tables after table, row after row of pipes. A wonderful day for a pipe and tobacco lover like myself. I understand all the best pipes were sold or traded the night before amongst the vendors. I will really miss that show. I will not be able to attend this year. Which makes it doubly sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.