Revisting: Pipe Lovers Magazine: Monthly Home Blending Winning Recipes, April 2023

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Okay Gang, here we are with a new month upon us, and with that brings us a newly revisited award-winning Home Blend courtesy of Pipe Lovers Magazine. This month’s winning entry which we will revisit was published in their 2nd big issue - Vol 1. Number 2. - for APRIL 1946; and, was submitted by Phillip Adams of Eugene, Oregon.

Pipe_Lovers_FEB_01.png

No, your eyes do not deceive you, that is NOT our beloved and fearless forum-fellow @JimInks . The April 1946 issue of Pipe Lovers Magazine featured cover-boy, Edward G. Robinson.

Okay, let’s get into recreating Phillips Adams' award-winning Home Blend from April 1946.
Pipe_Lovers_Feb_1946_02.jpg

As we had to do last month - M.B. White's JAN1946 PLM Winning Blend - the first things we need to do are:

STEP 1: Convert from Ounces to Parts Per; and, because of the small amount of Yendije Turkish used as a Condiment tabak, relative to the Base and Semi-Base tabaks in play, will require an extra step of division in your recreation formula at the 1.5 Gram Micro-Batch scale - and, not blindly commit to blend up over 4 Ounces of your Blending Tabak inventory as per the original recipe instructions by Phillip Adams.

I will convert the recipe to grams for a 1.5 gram Micro-Batch in a later post.

To my surprise, I did not have all the called-for ingredients in both C&D and Sutliff Blending Tobaccos, so I will be going only with Sutliff tabaks for this experiment - instead of making it up with both suppliers offerings, as I did before - and, put in a re-order with C&D for what I am currently out of.

As the original recipe did not specify any particular cut, I will presume Ribbons in all cases.

12 P White Burley Ribbons - Sutliff TS-6 White Burley Ribbons
8 P Maryland Ribbons - Sutliff TS-9 Maryland Ribbons
8 P Latakia Ribbons - Sutliff TS-18 Latakia Ribbons
4 P Bright Virginia Ribbons - Sutliff TS-1 Bright Virginia Ribbons
1 P Turkish Yendije Ribbons - Sutliff TS-19 Smyrna (aka Izmir), OR Sutliff TS-24 Turkish Blend (Yendije, Basma, Samsun).

I currently do not have a supply of straight Yendije, so substitution is required.

STEP 2. Prepare a small Ball Jar with Moisture Button, to create a "Flavoring Humidor". I simply use a 2-part Velcro Dot to secure the saturated moisture button to the interior of the jar lid.
Moisture_Button_Flavordor.jpg

STEP 3. Secure a small quantity of Port Wine.

From Wiki: Port wine (also known as vinho do Porto, Portuguese pronunciation: [ˌviɲu duˈpoɾtu], or simply port) is a Portuguese fortified wine produced in the Douro Valley of northern Portugal.[1] It is typically a sweet red wine, often served with dessert, although it also comes in dry, semi-dry, and white varieties.
Other port-style fortified wines are produced outside Portugal – in Argentina, Australia, Canada, France, India, South Africa, Spain, and the United States – but under the European Union Protected Designation of Origin guidelines, only wines from Portugal are allowed to be labelled "port".[2][3]

I am on STEP 3; and, The Amazing Wifey, will pick up a small cheap bottle of Port Wine for the experiment tomorrow, and the recreation of Phillips Adams’ FEB1946 PLM Award-Winning Home Blend will proceed at that time.

- Sherm ‘Portly, but Port Wineless’ Natman

Attachments

• FEB1946_Ingrediants.jpg
    FEB1946_Ingrediants.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
For some reason, the pic of all the collected Blending Tabaks did not show up, so I will try to post it again here:
FEB1946_Ingrediants.jpg

Also, since the Port Wine which is called for is only for flavoring the tabak through exposure within the Flavoring Humidor; and not, for drinking or spraying on, I'll be using the least expensive I can find.
Taylor_Port_Wine.jpg

In my case, it will be this $5 bottle of Taylor Tawny Port Wine - Sherm "Brown Bag" Natman

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Thanks for putting up this post; it sounds like a fun experiment. I wonder, though, if Phillip Adams was referring to a ruby port instead of a tawny port. For those unfamiliar with port, ruby ports are very fruity and often described as jammy whereas tawny ports are a bit thinner with more of a caramel/toffee character. I imagine the port would be present in the tin/jar note but don't know if it makes it into the flavor of the smoke. It would be interesting to mix up batches in both styles.

Reactions: FLDRD