Returning to Canada with Tobacco: Receipts Required?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

SmokeyCanuck

Lurker
Nov 9, 2023
Hey everyone, I've looked for the answer but haven't found it.
It's my first time returning to Canada from the US with tobacco. I don't have the receipt for my 200g and I was wondering if that will cause my stuff to be seized. I'm sorry if it's a silly question but they can be hard a$$e$ at the Canadian side of border.
Should I leave it cellared here for when I visit or just go for it?
It's my favorite blend and I don't want to loose it lol
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
If you search prior posts on this subject you will note that the amount you are bringing in is the max allowed duty free. Not sure if Customs would have a gram scale at the ready. The receipt may be a good thing to produce if required to identify as tobacco.

SmokeyCanuck

Lurker
Nov 9, 2023
You're within the limit, so why would not having a receipt matter? What if someone gave you a gift of a couple of tins, amount within the limits?
The looking around that I did, and Customs sites are a mire of situational vagueness, doesn't show having a receipt as a requirement.
I'm not sure why it would matter I've also found the same vagueness, and have also not found anything stating we require receipts.

SmokeyCanuck

Lurker
Nov 9, 2023
If you search prior posts on this subject you will note that the amount you are bringing in is the max allowed duty free. Not sure if Customs would have a gram scale at the ready. The receipt may be a good thing to produce if required to identify as tobacco.
Yes it's the max allowance, and I actually might leave two tins of Cornell and Diehl that I'm not super pumped about and just bring back the two tins of presbyterian reformed, and I don't have receipts for them unfortunately :(
I wouldn't care so much it's just that I can't order them reasonably in Canada.
And they are now, my favorite lol.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Know the rules before you play the game .....

It depends on how long you were out of Canada. The total amount you've spent will come into play.

200 grams of "vintage" tobacco that you may have paid $50.00 US per tin, WILL put you over the exemption for a 24 hour trip.

While 99.999999% of customs officials know nothing about vintage tins, there is that one chance someone does. It is ALWAYS best to have the receipts for everything, when crossing the border.

SmokeyCanuck

Lurker
Nov 9, 2023
Know the rules before you play the game .....

It depends on how long you were out of Canada. The total amount you've spent will come into play.

200 grams of "vintage" tobacco that you may have paid $50.00 US per tin, WILL put you over the exemption for a 24 hour trip.

While 99.999999% of customs officials know nothing about vintage tins, there is that one chance someone does. It is ALWAYS best to have the receipts for everything, when crossing the border.
I've done as much research as I can honestly.
We will have been gone for about 10 days by the time we return, so long enough to retu4n without paying taxes or duties.
The tins aren't vintage at all And I'll most likely only be bringing the two ttins50g each presby.

SmokeyCanuck

Lurker
Nov 9, 2023
Thank you this is what I was hoping for.
Hopefully this is nationwide. I'm going to go for it and report back what happens I guess.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
10 days out of the country you are currently allowed $800.00 CDN, in goods, duty and tax free, with tobacco and alcohol included in the total spend. The amount of pipe tobacco allowed is 200 grams.

The $800.00 CDN is a total. Thus IF you purchased 4 x $200.00 tins ( 50 grams each ), it would still be within the max limit. Remember it's CDN dollars not US.

The above being what it is .... normal 50 grams tins that cost ... around $20.00 CDN ( in the US ) you would be allowed 4 tins, or 200 grams bulk. Plus anything else purchased under the $800.00 CDN threshold.

IF you run over the $800.00 CDN limit ... you will pay duty and taxes on the least taxable and dutiable items, thus it's always good to have the receipts.

SmokeyCanuck

Lurker
Nov 9, 2023
If I was driving across the border I would have gotten creative and hide tins and bulk all over the car. Who needs foam in the seats when you can stuff them with bulk bags. Go to junk yard, install junk seats and restuff. It's not like the dogs are trained to alert on Victorian Match.
Lol!!

Reactions: FurCoat
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've driven across the Canadian border many times and not once was I pulled over and have my luggage searched. We're I Canadian, I'd buy at least 20 tins every time, put them in my suitcase and take my chances. If by chance you do get searched, I'd just play dumb. If they size the 20 tins, not the end of the world. Say it was a present from one of your smoking friends.