PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
I wanted to make a new post to talk directly about retrohaling any blend and not just one in particular. I've found over my past few bowls (one a dayish), that my nose burns like hell when I Retrohale even a small sip. This happens with English, aros and non aros. Even when I smoke ultra slow and the smoke is very cool this still happens. Any advice and ideas are greatly appreciated.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Pipe smoke is very dense, full of nicotine, sugar and aroma unlike cigarettes. After taking a sip, just exhale some smoke through your mouth and after that exhale some through your nose. I would only retrohale once or twice during one bowl smoke just to taste the tobacco more. As you said, it burns my nose.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If doing something causes you pain, stop doing it dummy. :roll:
Clearly, you're sensitized now. Give it a rest and allow the inflammation to abate. Keep in mind, this is a natural side effect of the "retrohale" and as such, this sis an activity that should be undertaken in moderation.
Or, you could do what we used to do in the 80's/90's and just toughen up the those olfactory passageways with a healthy dose of "bankers best" wake up powder, fresh off the boar from colombia.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I have this problem if I haven't smoked in a day or two but for me it only lasts for the first few attempts and then goes away.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Interesting to see the disparity in experience here. Some blends really irritate me during retrohaling - specifically blends with perique or straight VA's that I am smoking too harshly. Burleys, English & Balkans are quite enjoyable, especially the latter.
When I retrohale I have a very low flow rate out of the old nasal passages; almost the same as a normal exhale through the nose. I find that some times I have to let the last of the smoke exit through my mouth from time to time if it is building to a discomfort - but that is rare for me.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Thanks for your own experience everyone. I know sometimes i smoke too fast but its so odd because i just had a bowl of cpt black dark and had no problems retrohaling. Same as a bowl of Hearth and home's classic burley kake i had the other week, but orlik GS, early morning pipe, FMC, MB vanilla cream and PS luxury bullseye flake have all given me problems. Im trying to see a pattern in the blends giving me problems but I'm a little lost. I also dry my tobacco out quite a bit before smoking.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I never got the retro-hale down myself, and I prefer a very slight French Inhale. I do know that if ever have to be intubated it has to be done fiber-optically, and that when I...get sick...it tends to go through my nose, so clearly my upper-respiratory plumbing wasn't done properly. The Pectus Excavatum might be somehow contributory, but I really can't say.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Can pipe smokers write clearly, toning down with the thesaurus?
I don't believe many can. Always reminds me of that character on Hill St. Blues that always unnecessarily spoke in overly technical terms using big words. He did smoke a pipe though.
c5478908d097a42da52f4971d579226a.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Can pipe smokers write clearly, toning down with the thesaurus?
Negative. We sporadically like to manifest our prodigious congregation of ineffectual cognizance.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I"ve never had a problem sucking down Prince Albert 4 or 5 times a day. Always have coffee with it, it helps the dryness of a parched throat and dry nasal cavities.. That may be what you're experiencing.

bbc417

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
I have the same problem as you- while I agree it helps bring out the flavor of specific blends, I pretty much never do it… I'm content with the extent of the flavor without my nose burning for over an hour.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I don't believe many can. Always reminds me of that character on Hill St. Blues that always unnecessarily spoke in overly technical terms using big words. He did smoke a pipe though.
The problem, to a large degree, is autocorrect. Plain text is boring too. Also, sometime alcohol may play a part in some posts.
This one, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.