PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Hello, again!
Recently, I've been looking into the restoration of pipes! I was curious where a good place to start would be? Any specific store, besides eBay, to look at for some older, used pipes? Thanks in advance :)

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Ah, so I get to be one of the folk who goes antiquing now :P Good to know! Thank you kindly, sir.

aussiemike

Lurker
Oct 6, 2017
I get all mine from ebay and gumtree(aussie ebay) good question vokka, I too would like to know where else to look. Good hobbie vokka so relaxing and therapeutic for me, costs a bit to get set up dremmil, waxes, micro fiber sanding pads,etc etc I love reading rebornpipes site so inspiring for the new shavers of pipe restoration I reckon.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Best bargains for me have been as part of lots bought through Craigslist and in antique stores. The downside to lots, of course, is you end up with a lot of pipes you wouldn't have bought otherwise. I probably have 50 of those, most of which are well made pipes. Most of them are tobacco store house brands, like Edwards. Antique stores are only useful if you enjoy antique stores because most of the time you won't find much and it takes a long time to look. But every once in a blue moon, bingo! A few weeks ago, I picked up an early Lane era Charatan's Make for $12 in good condition. But most of the time, they want to sell you a run of the mill Missouri Meerschaum cob or a Dr.Grabow for $25.
eBay is best for finding something more specific, but unless the listing it's poorly done, you'll pay market price most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.