PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I have been serching all the old posts about restoring an estate pipe and I haven't seen this question yet. If you are attempting a complete cleaning is it important to remove all the cake from a bowl? And why? I have wondered this for a bit and can't see why you would want to completly remove the cake if you are just going to build it back up.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
My assumption would be ghosting and also a proper examination of the interior bowl. :?:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I wouldn't think there would be any need to inspect the interior of the bowl. I'd just ream to an even thin layer of cake and leave it. If there are any problems,with the bowl burning through etc. it will usually show up on the outside of the bowl as a dark spot,usually black, and will sometimes get overly hot in that area.

I agree with Toker on the ghosting,get the shank thoroughly clean and any ghost left are usually gone after a few bowls.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The reason I seem to keep reading about for WHY to get rid of an estate cake, or at least get it really thin, is because you don't know what the heck the guy before you was smoking. So the oils and tars of Paladin may be causing all your blends to taste funny.
If you like smoking "dead-people cake" then go ahead... keep it there.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I have many estates that I dont get any ghosting on from the previous owner from the cake. I do take alcohal to the cake a few times to clean the loose stuff off. I guess its really up to the owners prefrence. Should it make a differance in the price wheather the cake is there or not in a purchase?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It usually does.
Having a thick clearly noticeable cake can sometimes give the impression that it isn't clean, not cared for, etc.
Newer and shinier = higher price. I don't recall hearing of a pipe selling for a lot unless it has George Washington's cake in the pipe... 8O
Dont' ream famous dead people cake. Whole nother category.
Don't smoke em either! lol

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Having a thick clearly noticeable cake can sometimes give the impression that it isn't clean, not cared for, etc.
I disagree if the cake is even around the bowl and to a relitivly correct thickness it shows the pipe came from someone who knew what they were doing and how a pipe should be cared for.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have many estates that I dont get any ghosting on from the previous owner from the cake. I do take alcohal to the cake a few times to clean the loose stuff off. I guess its really up to the owners prefrence. Should it make a differance in the price wheather the cake is there or not in a purchase?
To me,it might. If the sellers pics show a good shot of the bowl and I can see that he has went totally bonkers with a reamer or even worse-sandpaper I will shy away. Some of them seem to think they have to get down to bright virgin wood,which is IMHO totally unnecessary!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I disagree if the cake is even around the bowl and to a relitivly correct thickness it shows the pipe came from someone who knew what they were doing and how a pipe should be cared for.
Very good point. But now you have to take a great picture of it. So many people take crap pictures, and quality pictures can affect the price as well.
Everyone will have a different opinion. I will never pay top dollar for cake in a pipe that I will just have to remove myself.
Plus once it's smoked it's an estate. And unless it's a collectable it will sell for a fraction of what it once was.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I will say that in most cases if someone gets an estate they tend to spic n span it clean, so i guess this really doesnt matter. But it is an interesting discussion.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I've never bought an estate from one of our sponsors. Do they leave a little cake in the bowl? If anyone knows please post. I'll go look at some estate pics, but they all look cake free to me.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
I've never bought an estate from one of our sponsors. Do they leave a little cake in the bowl? If anyone knows please post. I'll go look at some estate pics, but they all look cake free to me.

I picked up 2 estate pipes from Pipesandcigars.com locally at their store in Albany NY. A billiard stamped UNIVERSITY (any ideas anyone??) and a Willard Adjustomatic(yellow dot on top of stem). Together they set me back under $40.00. Both had clean bowls no cake AND YET not down to virgin wood either. Almost like a "pre smoked" Grabow. I ran some whiskey thru both and fired 'em up! Good smokers both.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I ream mine down to start fresh myself also. I also do alcohol and salt treatments to clean the bowl out of old tar, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.