PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I smoke 97% GLP blends. If I had to pick three to show what he can do as a blender, they'd be:
Gaslight, which is a big oriental / latakia blend.

Fillmore, which is a big VA / perique blend.

Chelsea Morning, which is a really complex but light blend. I think of it as a VA / oriental blend spiced with a little latakia and perique.

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
A couple of good VaPers are Stratford and Telegraph Hill.

If you want something spicy and want to test your nicotine tolerance at the same time then try Haddo's Delight. (Tip: Don't smoke it on an empty stomach).

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I think I'm going to go with Telegraph Hill and Laurel Heights. I haven't tried virginia really, and want to give them a shot. I also added some PS LBF on top. Not sure how the nicotine will do with me, but we shall see.
These are two of the few Pease blends I'm actually not familiar with. I have a tin of Laurel Heights aging right now, but have only smoked a few bowls over the years.
In general with GLP blends: give them five or ten bowls before you make your mind up too much. There are many subtleties that aren't apparent until they sneak up on you under cover of darkness.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
....I know it's not glp's , but im really dig'n some darbyshire right now.

Jul 15, 2011
I have had some real high and low points with Mr. Pease. Haddos Delight, Key Largo, and Samarra are all fantastic smokes. However, I tried some Navigator fresh and found it very bland, and Quiet Nights didn't have the character of smoke I like. Then, a few weeks ago, I tried a tin of Blackpoint, and that smoke quickly became one of my all time favorites. Very deep and full, very smoky with campfire, leather, and coffee overtones, and the perique adds a little zip and fruity richness while the Virginias are very smooth and add great hay and honey notes. I also tried Lagonda a few days ago and it is starting to grow on me, less full than Blackpoint and much simpler in flavor but still very complex and tasty.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hey, Pipe Novelist. . . Seems like a long time since I've seen you posting here. . . If that's the case -- and I haven't just been missing the threads you've posted to -- welcome back.
Bob

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
If Latakia is not your thing, then I would suggest Cairo, one of Greg Pease' Virginia Perique blends, with a little bit of oriental. I started smoking it about 6 months ago, and enjoy the lemony/spicy flavor. For something a little different, I also like Sextant, with it's rum backing it puts a different twist on those other superb Latakie blends everyone raves about.

Jul 15, 2011
Hey, Pipe Novelist. . . Seems like a long time since I've seen you posting here. . . If that's the case -- and I haven't just been missing the threads you've posted to -- welcome back.
Thanks Bob. I still hang around and read the posts, just don't comment much anymore, unless it's something that really trips my fancy.

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks Bob. I still hang around and read the posts, just don't comment much anymore, unless it's something that really trips my fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.