PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I think we need to get orthodox about what constitutes a VaPer. To me it's Virginia and Perique, which may include a topping. To address the OP, many people would say the best representative VaPer blend is Escudo.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I think we need to get orthodox about what constitutes a VaPer. To me it's Virginia and Perique, which may include a topping. To address the OP, many people would say the best representative VaPer blend is Escudo.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We get into these discussions from time to time. There's no such thing as a pure blend type. Blenders are forever playing with the construction of types, it's what they do. Look at an English blend and you will find no end of ingredient variation. One can choose to be a purist in these matters, insisting that the only genuine Perique is from St James parish, or one farm, or whatever, but one may end up an orchestra of 1.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
I'm more of a Virginia smoker, but I've recently begun dabbling in VaPers. I've tried Firestorm and thought it was too peppery, but I'll give it another go at a later time. After trying Firestorm, I tried Escudo and found it to be a much more enjoyable VaPer. It was very smooth, which I loved.

Mar 1, 2014
As long as we're being creative, Carter Hall has Burley and Virginia, but throw in some Perique and all I can say is wow! (just make sure you give it a few months to meld)
But the stock answer is Samuel Gawith St. James Flake, and Escudo.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Escudo was my first, and I did manage to age a tin for over a year and tried it, and yes, it had mellowed significantly, but I'm not sure that's really necessary.

It was great right out of the tin with obvious taste 'variety' between the primary components. A crisper taste, I'd call it.

For the budget minded, Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake works great.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
My VaPer experience is somewhat limited but I can say that I do enjoy Escudo very much and PS Luxury Navy Flake is absolutely delicious. I've been squirreling away both in my cellar. :puffy:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Elizabethan Mixture is the best answer whereas I'd like to mention Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bulls Eye as a cheaper, sweeter VaPer alternative.
Escudo seems a little harsh fresh but I did get to sample some 5 year old Escudo that was much smoother and deeper in flavor.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
One can choose to be a purist in these matters, insisting that the only genuine Perique is from St James parish, or one farm, or whatever, but one may end up an orchestra of 1.
That's foolish as it's like saying there's only one true latakia, or one true type or Va, etc.. The man responsible for St. James Perique learned it from the Choctaw tribe who were producing it for 400 years before that.
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/05/20/perique-tobacco-steeped-choctaw-tradition-149433

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I have to say that my favorite is McClelland's 2015 aged for a decade or more. It is about the only tobacco that I smoke and it is sublime. My second favorite is well aged Escudo.

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
Wow I had no idea how much response this post would get, to clarify I'm trying to dial in the types of tobaccos that I enjoy, thus far my favorite tobaccos are Frog Morton Cellar, and Peterson Irish flake (when I can get it to burn right using fold and stuff). The only tobacco I've tried that I really didn't like is McClelland Rose of Latakia. So I'm looking for a Perique blend that will help me decide if I should try more Perique blends...From you answers thus far I think Escudo is what I will get, but I promise I won't write off Perique based on just one blend. Thanks for all the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.