PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know of a reputable person who could fashion a silver band as a replacement on a meerschaum pipe? I took a chance on this no name estate meer. It was just speaking to me. However, I love having silver bands on my pipes and I will likely replace the stainless steel one that’s currently in place. Any leads in the right direction are greatly appreciated!

IMG_8758.jpeg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Does anyone know of a reputable person who could fashion a silver band as a replacement on a meerschaum pipe? I took a chance on this no name estate meer. It was just speaking to me. However, I love having silver bands on my pipes and I will likely replace the stainless steel one that’s currently in place. Any leads in the right direction are greatly appreciated!

View attachment 275243

Repair bands are made of thin metal, are faintly conical, and must be forced on after expanding with heat and then allowed to "shrink" tight. Not something that can be done with meers.

Original bands are thick(ish) ones that are usually parallel sided, and the stummel is carved so the band is a slip fit and is then glued in place.

What you are asking for is retro-fitting a NON repair band. Fashioning one that's dimensionally identical to what's on your pipe now, and then swapping them.

It can be done, but only by a real live, honest-to-goodness, jeweler/silversmith type of guy who is also familiar with pipe side of things.

Such people are almost always male, bearded, grumpy Southerners who defend their property with a salt-loaded shotgun, and have no time for city folk. So good luck there.

It also wouldn't be cheap.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Repair bands are made of thin metal, are faintly conical, and must be forced on after expanding with heat and then allowed to "shrink" tight. Not something that can be done with meers.

Original bands are thick(ish) ones that are usually parallel sided, and the stummel is carved so the band is a slip fit and is then glued in place.

What you are asking for is retro-fitting a NON repair band. Fashioning one that's dimensionally identical to what's on your pipe now, and then swapping them.

It can be done, but only by a real live, honest-to-goodness, jeweler/silversmith type of guy who is also familiar with pipe side of things.

Such people are almost always male, bearded, grumpy Southerners who defend their property with a salt-loaded shotgun, and have no time for city folk. So good luck there.

It also wouldn't be cheap.
Thank you for the advice! Might just keep it as is, if it’s that big of a pain. The pipe isn’t worth what that would cost 😬