PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
I think I remember reading that Mike McClelland put his VAs through two summer sweats and that the sauce about which there has been so much complaint were both for the purpose of enhancing fermentation. Now any organic substance ferments of its own; these were in addition. It would be great if it were better understood.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
When I started, based on advice from my mentor at the time, I remember buying a 1/2 lb of 2015 and an equal amount of something dark but not potent, but I never developed a liking for the former. Just couldn't find a place for it with my palate. This reminds me of a newb who said that he wasn't getting any kind of a pleasurable taste from the few bowls he'd had., He was advised to keep on smoking and he would, and I think that is correct.

We think in terms of cause and effect and comparison and contrast. So to know the present we need to know the past. Cause and effect. To know B we compare it to A. Comparison and contrast. So the palate can be likened to a wheel with the entire record of one's smoking experiences laid out, one next to the other. Latakia, VA/Perique, VA, and so on. So someone with an experienced palate has many referents for the current smoke, while someone new has yet to create them.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m
McClelland's closing went from being just a rumor to a reality, overnight. There was no time to react.
Their closing was both the worst and best kept secret in the tobacco industry. I knew about it months before they closed, but like others, was sworn to secrecy so that their customers could stock up without speculating hoarders descending on the remaining releases.

Reactions: coys

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Many, not all Reds, not all McClelland.
McCranie’s Red Ribbon & Flake
Butera Blended Flake
PCCA - 1776 - Reds with 3% orientals.
PCCA - Millennium - Red/Orange
McC - 2025.
McC - #25 (red & black)
Christmas Cheer 2000, and all the orange/reds that followed.

Goose55

Lurker
Nov 20, 2023
Beacon Extra
Tudor Castle
Dark Star
Drama Reserve
Blackwoods Flake
Christmas Cheer
St. James Woods
You mentioned some real stellar ones there. Tudor Castle and SJW's were right up there. I, too, like Beacon Extra. All such McClelland blends I consumed as though they were candy.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I also loved Beacon Extra. I'd consider paying for an aftermarket tin of that one. I was not one of the people who knew McClelland was shutting up shop, and I was a new pipe smoker in 2017. I luckily grabbed 4 tins of 40th when it was released. It's among some of the first tobacco I ever took a chance on cellaring. 3 tins remain sealed. Tudor Castle is great (I wish I had bought more than 1 tin of that!) and I really like the #24. I bought a 2001 tin of that from Pipestud. I also have some unopened Blackney's Best Guillotined Slices I bought from a B&M after McClelland closed, that I'm sitting on. I imagine that's going to be great.

Paul 3.0

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2019
Anderson, SC
Loved Dark Star though hard to work with, worth the effort though, still have a 2007 tin in the paper packaging of Anniversary 25, i remember liking it years ago.

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
Cellaring and aging are fine, but don't do what I did, if you so will and favor. I had maybe 10 or 20 pounds of cellared tobacco that was aging but only smoked 10% of it, because I was aging the rest. 5 years, 10 years; no, I'll, just keep putting that back, because think of how good it will be at 20 years

In aging you have to walk the line between pleasure current vs pleasure future, with the emphasis on pleasure present.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
The only VA I've tried so far though I own quite a few mixed with Orientals and am still waiting to crack some Christmas Cheer is McCrannie's Red Ribbon it was truly love at first puff,I only smoke it occasionally to savor it.