PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I know this subject has probably been posted a hundred times but, what was the first pipe and tobacco blend you ever smoked?
The first pipe and tobacco I ever purchased was a MM Legend Cob and a package of Capt. Black White from my local B&M. Both I'd highly recommend to this day. I started with smoking aromatics. From this humble beginning I wanted to try something new so searching the internet I first ran across Chief Catoonah's site. Very nice gentleman who I spoke with on the phone for quite some time and he put me on the right path! His Sugar Hollow blend is amazing in an aromatic. A very good English blend is his Princess Street Mixture which won the 2012 John Cotton 1&2 Tobacco Throw down competition.
It's been too long since I've made a purchase with him.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love Princes Street Mixture, it is one of my favorites (it is Princes, not Princess...) I sampled a number of his other English blends, all were really wonderful.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I discovered the Chief after the John Cotton Throwdon. The Princes Street Mixture is absolutely outstanding. I also enjoy his Highland Blackwatch, a tasty sweet aromatic that isn't flavored with a heavy hand. I could never put my finger on what is smelled like in the bag, but everyone around me thought it was great.

I might also mention that I let some Princes Street rest for a year. It was fantastic.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
At Morley's Pipe Club last night one of the gentlemen brought in a brand new blend of his called Bailey's Supreme that I believe he picked up at the Chicago Pipe Show. WOW was this some good stuff. It burned beautifully in my new Brebbia. It was mostly Va with some Perique and the combo was outstanding to this novice puffer.

captainpeg

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
First pipe was a Peterson 150 smooth, and my first tobacco was possibly Captain Black, like many of us. I moved onto other types of tobacco, but just recently started an "Aromatic Adventure", buying an ounce of about 30 different offerings just to see what's out there in the aromatic world. One thing I did get was a free pouch of Captain Black white, and it really doesn't seem much different overall than I remember it. The smell brought back a lot of memories, and while I won't go back to smoking aromatics I did enjoy the "nostalgia" smoke.
Nice to hear that Dick at Chief Catoonah's is getting the attention that he deserves! Lucky enough to have made the trip to Ridgefield for years at his former B&M, I always looked forward to my arrival at the shop and the wonderful smell that permeated it. In aromatics, his Sailing Master was a favorite, but in truth all his blends were well done, with his Virginia hand blended mixtures his finest offerings to my taste. Always willing to give advice when it was requested, and happy to work with a fella if they had a mix in mind (he seemed genuinely excited to come up with a blend that suited someones fancy), it was no surprise that Princes Street managed to capture the spirit of the Cotton blend.

I've signed up for a sample of Bailey's Supreme, and I am happy to hear that it is garnering such attention. From my experience, Dick will have another winner here and I can't wait to light some up (and then have to buy even MORE tobacco to cellar!).

Enjoy, and thanks!

Randy

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
+1 on the Bailey's Supreme.

It's not a heavy powerful extra full flavored blend. If you are into full flavored flakes it may not be for you. BUT if you like a medium bodied, totally satisfying Virginia Base blend that you can smoke all day you will love it. I has plenty of flavor, is non biting, and smooth as a baby's bottom. (An old Savory's Blend!!). I've had quite a few bowls of this magnificent blend which is comprised of some mellow Virginia's and broken flake and is quite chunky in cut which burns effortlessly. Just delicious IMO. I know how personal tobacco is to each and every smoker, but like Mikey says. "Try it, You'll Like it". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.