PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Recognizing the sacrifices of Canadian men and women who have served and are serving in our armed forces. Thank you.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Just got back from the Ceremony in my small town where I live, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The Legion tried to do a good job but people these days seem clueless. People cut through the colour party trying to secure a better spot. Men failed to take their hats off for our Anthem and later the last post when the flag was lowered. It seems parents these days do not teach their children what do, and when to do it. I have four boys and they have all been taught the proper elicit during an important ceremony. Should this not be taught in our schools? They teach History, is this not a perfect opportunity to teach what to do and when to do it if these kids and adults are not getting the information at home. Even the police allowed cars to drive up beside the colour party. What the hell, can they not close a small street even for an hour? Anyway, as a vet I get frustrated with these things although I was happy to see many people came out to pay there respects.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Sad to hear that Piper. General decline in manners and civilized behavior all around.Like you said though, at least people came out. And, thank you for your service.

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
a thank you to the vet's of all conflicts, in all arms of the forces.
i agree todays society does little as far as actively promoting proper education on these matters. i must relate a story of an incident of me bumping heads with the local legion members here. was at my children's school remembrance ceremony and my mother a 30 year veteran of the canadian navy regular force *retired* with service in peace keeping operations and natural disaster response, was asked by the local legion to remove her service medals as she was not a member of the legion and was not considered a vet by the legion as she had not served in ww1-2 or korea. well that put her in tears to be told that in front of an entire school.
let me tell while i do respect vets it was all i could do to retain any semblance of self control and composure with the 3 legion members present * only one of whom was actually a former servicemen the other 2 where "honorary members" of the local legion IE politicians.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
flanders-field.png

THANK YOU

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Just realized I posted with tears in my eyes and not enough coffee in my system. Mods, please correct the post title. Should be Remembrance Day. Tx.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
@nscoyote first let me apologize that, that happened to your mother. I am not a member of the local Legion. These days there are more honorary members of the legion than actual Vet's it has become a bit of an old man club where men go and drink on Saturday afternoon. If anyone reading this is a member I mean no offense toward you this has just been my local experience. Your Mother earned those medals in theatre of war or during regular force service. Therefore she is entitled to wear them during public ceremony. See Canadian Forces standing orders uniforms and deportment for reference. I have seen so many people wear medals wrong, or on the wrong side knowing full well they didn't earn those medals but to be honest I have reached an age were my ego does not guide my decision making process. Although I must admit the white Poppy movement is pushing my patience. I assure you, your Mothers experience is not typical of the way Vets act. I would be most proud to attend a parade or walk in a colour party with your Mom. People are quick to forget the contributions of Dentists, Doctors, Pay clerks (we all got paid)and admin officers. They all contributed just as much as a soldier that saw combat. If your Mom is looking for STD Orders with regards to her Canadian Uniform or service medals PM me and I can supply her with that so she and you are able to properly answer someone who takes issue. There are several things in the SOP's that I disagree with, in Canada there is no official way to wear a loved ones medals. I disagree with that. There should be an allowance for a child or widow of a service member to wear those medals on Remembrance day to honour there loved one. I would like to think my service awards would not have to stay in a box forever after I am gone.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i get the military channel on my cable system - they interviewed a veteran who had volunteered to show at a high school history class - - the teacher not exactly a winner , she introduced him as a veteran of world war - eleven !!!!!! - roman numeral 2 looks like eleven & she introduced him as such -

respect ?!what can we expect with teachers like that????!!!!!!!

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
My son last year had a teacher re-write history and list a man who had been hung for treason listed as a father of confederation. I even called to clarify that I had not mis-read his lesson. After a meeting with the principle history book in hand he relented and agreed to go back to teaching written history and not his opinion. Now I realize history was written by the victors but if someone is entrusted to teach your children it is expected they teach history as agreed to by historians.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
A big Thank You to all those who have served and/or are currently serving. As usual I put a bunch of flags around the front yard as a way to help honor the day and for those who have served.
Personally I think that many people in today's society don't agree with the wars or conflicts that we have been involved in, and because of it they fail to pay the proper respect for our military. The soldiers are not the ones that have chosen to engage in war, but its their job and have been ordered to engage in war. Whether you agree or disagree with the war/conflict don't punish the soldiers, but thank them for their sacrifice. Unfortunately many people just don't care which is sad and unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.