PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Hello all.
Does breathing out through the pipe release any of the heat and moisture that is in the chamber?
What are your thoughts on this?

Are there any techniques to achieve this (aside from drying out the tobacco more thoroughly beforehand... I mean mid-smoke)?
Thanks.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
You'd be building up more moisture through the water vapour in your exhalations.

Blowing into the bowl is actually a technique to remoisturise the tobacco when it's gone too dry.
Ah! Right... spot on.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Never has been an issue when I'm breath smoking.
Yeah, I thought about that too, but I think such exhalation is rather minimal as compared to a full 'blow the whistle' kind of exhalation through the pipe. Besides, you seem to dry, even nuke, your tobacco to negative RH values, so...

Wait, you just posted you smoke St Bruno moist... I give up! ?‍♂️

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, I thought about that too, but I think such exhalation is rather minimal as compared to a full 'blow the whistle' kind of exhalation through the pipe. Besides, you seem to dry, even nuke, your tobacco to negative RH values, so...

Wait, you just posted you smoke St Bruno moist... I give up! ?‍♂️
Nope, I said straight out of the tin/pouch/jar. My Bruno, Condor, and Lakelands have always arrived quite dry.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hello all.
Does breathing out through the pipe release any of the heat and moisture that is in the chamber?
What are your thoughts on this?

Are there any techniques to achieve this (aside from drying out the tobacco more thoroughly beforehand... I mean mid-smoke)?
Thanks.

A pipe cleaner up the airway is the main way of removing moisture once the pipe is loaded and lit.

I sometimes breath out through the stem to keep the ember going if I am not about to take a drag, or if the end of the bowl is meh and I want to dry out the heel.

Reactions: diamondback

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Yeah exactly. Do most people not do that?
Some do, some don't, it's a preference thing. I forced it in the video just so the smoke was visible. Most of the time the wisps are so insignificant you have to be looking for them to see them.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't. I don't do breath smoking at all. Tried it, and when I finally managed it I found out it left me with throat irritation. If I wasn't born a clencher, why bother?

Reactions: anotherbob

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I don't. I don't do breath smoking at all. Tried it, and when I finally managed it I found out it left me with throat irritation. If I wasn't born a clencher, why bother?
I clench most of the time but not always. If you retrohale, how did it leave you with a throat irritation? Plus, you don't have to retrohale when breath smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.