PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Couple young guys that work for me wanted to try pipe smoking. bought them a decent cob and ol shenedoah 76. they love it.

richjw

Lurker
Aug 12, 2015
Not easy to get hold of on your side of the pond but GQ Aromatic/Latakia blends are amazing. It doesn't sound as though it should work but it really does. I'm a beginner myself and GQ Chocolate and Vanilla is now my No1 smoke...

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
If you can handle it, Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cavendish has a fantastic smell, and is very mild. Though, if your tongue is prone to being bit....probably avoid it. For $10 per 8 oz bag, worth a go. The Cherry they make is more mild, and many prefer it, just throwing my hat in.

jvs68

Lurker
Mar 15, 2015
Thanks guys. The delivery from Pipes and Cigars was sent to the wrong address (thank you, USPS) so I ended up finding a local tobacco shop (not many here in LA that carry pipe tobacco) and got some of their aromatic blends. Then the next day the shipment showed up... So I have plenty to choose from at the moment. I enjoyed the Molto Dolce from P&C and the vanilla that I bought from the store. You're right about the bite, not something I'm used to. I did also get a Churchwarden pipe from the store where I bought the tobaccos and it's an outstanding pipe!
I look forward to trying all of your suggestions!
jvs

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Hobbit weed every once in a while. I know it's probably Lane 1Q and whatever, but I love the shop in Denver, Tewksbury, and I love the hype around it. It's just good once in a while.
Someone mentioned 4th generation 1931. That is great stuff and maybe considered more of a va/bur. But if you want a flake with a noticable degree of sweet, that's the one. Very well made.

Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
Most of the aromatics I smoke are just barely aromatics, like Samuel Gawith Bob's Chocolate Flake, Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake, and one of my favorites, Sam Gawith Kendal Cream Flake (outstanding smoke, by anyone's standards). My only exception is that I am very fond of Gawith Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake. To me, that is the ultimate aromatic.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I think my question would be why are you wanting to try an aromatic? For the people around you pleasure of the smell or for your own enjoyment? I think if for personal enjoyment any of the Boswell aromatics are top choice but for the people around you I have to say captain black white or borkum riff only because most people that had a grandfather that smoked can remember being a child and smelling one of those at his house.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Just tried a great one. Tsuge "The Mystery of Autumn. Tsuge (pronounced Su-Jeh, I believe) is a Japanese pipe maker that has branched out into tobacco. The tins are absolutely stunning. Here is the description from P&C:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/86489/tsuge-the-mystery-of-autumn/#p-166026
Tsuge's The Mystery of Autumn combines the subtle nuttiness of Burley with slowly steamed black Cavendish for a bite-free blend with a warm and comforting aroma, and a flavor that's sweet, without being overbearing. This is definitely an all-day type of pipe tobacco.
For a more affordable option, I enjoy the Peter Stokkebye Golden Dansk 48. Supposed to be similar to a Lane 1Q clone.
Having smoked a few, I found the Tsuge aromatic easier to dry out for smoking. I had to leave the PS out for a day or so to dry it. Not a huge concern, but worth considering. I found that the Tsuge smokes a bit easier and stays lit well, so it may be a good choice.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Tsuge Four Seasons series, Summer and Autumn are my favourites. If you are into very mild, sweet aromatics with zero tongue bite, then these are you.
Edit: just noticed someone beat me to recommending The Mystery of Autumn, it is the best out of all seasons.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Yeah, Shawn I love it. It is an incredibly mild aromatic. Enough to know it's there, but not overly or synthetically sweet tasting. And the tin art is just incredible, right?
As a beginner myself, I think it's sort of a perfect beginner's tobacco. Wish it was sold in bulk, as the tins are a bit pricey at my local B&M (~$16 for the standard 1.76oz).

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
So I have a Lane 1Q question. I have read from a number of places that many times Lane 1Q is sold in bulk by B&Ms under a different, house name. That seems weird to me. Is it legal? Does Lane mind, or are they just happy to be moving product?

Status
Not open for further replies.