PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Good afternoon, everyone. About half of my pipe smoking is Carter Hall in a cob. Needless to say, I love the old "codger burley." I would like to try some similar tobaccos, just for a change of pace. I am mainly interested in higher grade tobaccos similar to CH, but would be willing to try other OTC blends as well.
I have a tub of H&H Chatham Manor in my next TAD order. I tried Prince Albert, and thought it was pretty good, but I much prefer CH.
Any other blends to recommend for a codger burley smoker? Thank you in advance for your insights.

pastorpiper

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
Lawdog I am in the same boat as you. I pretty much smoke CH about 80% time with PA about 10% and some black cav the other 10%.
I have had the same question as you about good burley choices. Man.....burley in a cob is just amazing. It has also been really good in my newly acquired estate briars too.
Can't wait to hear how you like CM when it arrives. I've been wondering the same thing since it gets compared to CH all the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some great codger-like blends include Edward G. Robinson, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. The pouch tobacco Erin Go Braugh sold by PC among others is a nifty whiskey blend that you might like. Those are some of my favorites anyway. If you'd like a PC Midtown non-aro, also try a pouch of Chestnut.

Reactions: Skippy B. Coyote

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have been digging burley based blends lately. C&D has many that may suit your tastes. Haunted Bookshop is good, Gatlin-burlier blend and burliers blend from the Gatlin-burlier shop are nice as well. I highly recommend Mac Baren HH Burley Flake.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
A High-Society version of CH is Peretti's 1072. Edgeworth match is a must try (Lane RR mentioned is nearly identical).

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Lawdog,
As a fellow burley lover, I congratulate you on your quest to explore the tried and true blends of our fathers! There are some within the pipe smoking community who advocate for the idea that "real" blends are Virginia based or English mixtures. Do not be fooled by these charlatans! :lol: Good burley is awesome and these old time blends are vastly under-rated. Some items to add to your list:
Sir Walter Raleigh

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

Lane Ltd. Ready Rubbed

Sutliff Match: Edgeworth Ready Rubbed

Sutliff Match: Kentucky Club / P&C Midtown Derby Club

Sutliff Match: Walnut / P&C Mid-Town Chestnut

Sutliff Match: Revelation

Sutliff Match: Bourbon Street

Sutliff Match: Briggs Mixture

Sutliff Match: Barking Dog

Amphora Original

Amphora Full Aroma

Half & Half
The list goes on and on, but, this should get you started. For what it's worth, I've had all of these and keep a supply of all of them on hand. Once you get through a satisfactory number of these blends, check out the offerings from Cornell & Diehl. They are magicians with burley.
Cheers,
Chili

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thank you all for your recommendations. I just placed a TAD order w/ P&C, and the burleys on the way are:
- Chatham Manor

- HH Burley Flake

- Lane Limited Ready Rubbed (I've heard a lot about Edgeworth, glad to try its equivalent)
There are several more burleys listed in comments above that I'd like to try. I'm very much looking forward to receiving today's P&C order not only for the burley blends, but also because I also will be trying G.L. Pease Quiet Nights and Westminster for the first time (though backordered)

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I like War Horse Ready Rubbed, and

MB Golden Extra is very good.

A lot of guys will recommend Old Joe Krantz, and I have a lot of it myself, but the above two are the creme de la creme.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
A High-Society version of CH is Peretti's 1072. Edgeworth match is a must try (Lane RR mentioned is nearly identical)."
A "high society" version of Carter Hall is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you all for the recommendations. Keep them coming. I am reading reviews and placing many of the recommended blends on my TAD list for future purchases over the next months.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I haven't smoked Carter Hall so I can't say if it is comparable in any way but (to my Virginia-loving tastes) MacBaren HH Burley Flake is the best readily available burley blend on the market today...
I personally look forward to trying Lane Ready Rubbed eventually so let us know what you think of those three when they arrive!
PS It would have been excellent if they came up with an authentic Edgeworth Slices clone since I enjoy flakes most of all...

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I lied.

Wessex Burley Slice is the best burley ever, but it’s been hard to find lately.

So I recommended the other two cause you don’t need to know somebody who knows somebody to get them.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
If CH is your favourite, you own it to yourself to try Uhle's Blend 00. HH Burley Flake rocks but it is very different from CH, being more like wessex burley slices or solani ABF (all of which are smashing burley flakes) but not like carter hall.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm gonna have to throw in one more vote for Lane Limited Ready-Rubbed. Like CH, it has lots of Burley with just a little Va. It's delicious!
I'm not much of a Carter Hall straight smoker, but I go through a lot of it mixed in varying proportions with Lat bombs. I really dig that "American/English" flavor profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.