Recent Nicotine bomb

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Keep a bowl of those small "fun sized" or bite sized chocolates near you while you smoke. A small bite of sugar will replenish the sugars lost from overdose, and offset that spinning, sweaty, stomach achy feeling.

Nicotine is not a stimulant in the traditional sense. It works by releasing stored sugars in your blood, and as you lose sugars, you get that sick feeling. A little bite of something sweet will offset that.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Here recently I have been getting quite nicotine bombed while smoking blends I have smoked for a long time, anyone ever had this issue?
as usual ,nicotine does hit me harder if I haven't had a change to smoke at least two full bowls during the day.preferably uninterrupted ,and cigarettes doesn't count, moreover overall tiredness and stress will sure affect negatively.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I don't smoke heavy on an empty stomach. The sugar advice is good short term solution. I would add that a Snickers is best or something with nuts to offer some protein which lasts longer (or complex carbohydrates).

The sugar load will solve the problem, but then result in release of insulin which lasts longer. This leads to another wave of low blood sugar. Protein lasts longer and will prevent the second wave. Alternatively, you can continue to eat simple sugars and gain 100 Lbs leading to diabetes.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
All good advise I'm sure. I'm a one or two bowls a week man. So my nicotine tolerance is low. But if you smoke sloooow you get great flavour and no nic buzz.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
But if you smoke sloooow you get great flavour and no nic buzz.
For me, that’s not exactly true. The slower I smoke, the more time the nicotine has to absorb into the small blood vessels in my mouth and throat. The faster I smoke, the faster the smoke coats and prevents absorption. The slower, the more the smoke has time to work its magic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And a full stomach and plenty of water usually help. When you buy blends, it's good to note the strength level listed in the specs on most web sites, so you know how to approach each blend, or have some idea anyway.

Other ways to apply the brakes on nicotine dosing are to smoke a strong blend intermittently, not the whole bowl at once, or smoke a partial bowl or a small chambered pipe, or cut the strong blend with something milder.

Some people are particularly affected by burley. That's not me, but keep it in mind.

Cigars can take me by surprise, since they are usually smoked in one continuous session. Some strong pipe burley blends don't give me a buzz at all, but I might relight one bowl over a few hours.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Nicotine buzz is no problem for me except when smoking HH Rustica. I must have a full stomach to handle that rascal.

Keep a bowl of those small "fun sized" or bite sized chocolates near you while you smoke. A small bite of sugar will replenish the sugars lost from overdose, and offset that spinning, sweaty, stomach achy feeling.

I hadn't thought of doing that. I give it a try and see how it works for me.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Other ways to apply the brakes on nicotine dosing are to smoke a strong blend intermittently, not the whole bowl at once, or smoke a partial bowl or a small chambered pipe, or cut the strong blend with something milder.
I often cut stronger blends with PS Natural Dutch Cavendish, which is a delicious, well-balanced, medium smoke. It's sort of like dropping an ice cube in a glass of neat whiskey, it opens it up, allowing you to taste more flavors than you would at full strength. I recently did this with Nightcap and it was sensational!

Sometimes -- esp on Sat nights when I want a good long smoke -- I will load two pipes at the same time. When one starts to get hot, set it down and smoke the other. Works like a champ. Cool smoking and smooth sailing.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I often cut stronger blends with PS Natural Dutch Cavendish, which is a delicious, well-balanced, medium smoke. It's sort of like dropping an ice cube in a glass of neat whiskey, it opens it up, allowing you to taste more flavors than you would at full strength. I recently did this with Nightcap and it was sensational!

Sometimes -- esp on Sat nights when I want a good long smoke -- I will load two pipes at the same time. When one starts to get hot, set it down and smoke the other. Works like a champ. Cool smoking and smooth sailing.
I'll have to give this a try. I smoke pretty regularly but feel like I have a permanently low tolerance for nicotine. As a result, I hardly ever reach for robust blends like Nightcap or other English blends (even though I'd like to).

Thanks for the tip!

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I'll have to give this a try. I smoke pretty regularly but feel like I have a permanently low tolerance for nicotine. As a result, I hardly ever reach for robust blends like Nightcap or other English blends (even though I'd like to).

Thanks for the tip!
I think this would be great for pretty much any good English blend. Honestly the PS NDC is fabulous on it's own, a great everyday smoke. Try an ounce, it's terrific.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Have something to eat before smoke. Try not to smoke on an empty stomach. Pipe smoking doesn't hit me. But I used to go numb after early morning smoke of Marlboro Red. It seems, that doesn't even get me now days.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
For me, that’s not exactly true. The slower I smoke, the more time the nicotine has to absorb into the small blood vessels in my mouth and throat. The faster I smoke, the faster the smoke coats and prevents absorption. The slower, the more the smoke has time to work itsf magic.
Interesting. But have you considered that a slow rate of smoking gives more time for the body to remove or neutralise nicotine. I confess I don't know the half life of nicotine. But based on how quickly I recover from overdose I suspect it isn't long.

Reactions: Akoni808