PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I was trying to remember a quote from C. S. Lewis that seemed appropriate here, and couldn't bring it to mind. And then I see it in Tuold's footnote:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -C.S. Lewis

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
The entire history of evolution of our government renders this statement puzzling.
I see your point but as far as debate goes, slippery slope has always been considered a logical fallacy. One cannot reason that because one restriction is passed, all restrictions will eventually be passed. It's just not intellectually honest. That said, there is nothing illogical about wondering where it will stop or if it will lead to more restrictions. In the case of tobacco, the government had the perfect opportunity to shut it down but they went with a monetary and punitive settlement. I don't think we are wrong for suspecting tobacco regulations and smoking bans will continue to increase. Still, one must be careful relying on such an argument and the opposition could use the same tactic. "If we don''t regulate ecigs, they will be selling them to my four year old!" would be one I can think of.

rasselass

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
Conlejm's quote of C.S.Lewis pretty much sums it up, but i assure you the "slippery slope" is a reality,over here ,Taxi drivers,Delivery Van drivers not allowed to smoke in their vehicles,even if they have no passengers,2nd hand smoke the reason.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Many (perhaps most) baby-boomers grew up in smoke filled homes, cars, restaurants, etc. and most of us are living long and healthy lives. I really question the "science" behind these oppressive laws supposedly designed to protect children.
Why have we allowed busybodies to rob us of our "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"?

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I don't smoke in cars or indoors, and I rarely smoke in public. So laws banning these things won't affect me personally. What I worry about, as I sit on my front porch smoking a pipe and writing this, is laws prohibiting smoking on private property within X feet of a public road (for fear that a jogger may catch a "whiff" of my smoke and die).
Ironically, my woodstove gives off more pollutants than the few pounds of tobacco I smoke each year. So does my car. So probably does my grill. Methinks they're "missing the moon for sixpence", as Somerset Maugham might say.
Incidentally, when I was a kid riding in my Grandparent's car, I would much rather smell my Grandfather's smoke than my Grandmother's perfume! (Gram's perfume was so strong it probably drove my Grampa to smoke in the car).
Someday it may come to pass that tobacco farmers figure out that they can make more money growing something other than tobacco. Then the fun begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.