Reamer that works better for meerschaum...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I usually clean my meerschaum with a clean paper napkin after each smoke (plus a couple of pipe cleaners) and every 4 or five bowls I scrape lightly the inside using a knife that I modified (rounded the tip and give it a pipe natural round curve to the blade).
I try to be gentle with the scraping of the build from the tobacco (AKA CAKE) but I will like to know if someone can recommend a good pipe reamer that will be safe for the meerschaum.
Thanks

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I think you're on target with the rounded knife. That will give you the best control I think. I've got a Kleen-Reem that I favor for briars, but I'd never use it on my meers. Be like trimming your toenails with a chainsaw (which I, admittedly, have yet to try).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Most likely any reaming tool used judiciously will work just fine. I use a three sided knife or an adjustable reamer. Depends what's near at hand when I want it. But, mostly I use the round tipped, dull blade on my favorite pipe tool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've lived my pipe life without reamers so far, for decades. One or two others on Forums have

reported the same. If you wipe out the bowl after after smoke, I don't think you will need the

reamer. I know others have an entirely different experience, but for the record.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I have a reamer on the style of the Castleford (plastic T handle with 5 interchangeable heads) that works wonderful on estate pipes (heavy unattended cake build) but I will never dare to use it on a meerschaum!
I have being looking to get something like the Senior reamer so I can adjust the blades just enough to keep the cake even on my briars... and I will keep my small knife for the meerschaum.

Status
Not open for further replies.